BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: MGB-SBC-Jimmy on November 06, 2012, 03:22:30 PM

Title: Source for rear gear sets for 78 mgb?.............
Post by: MGB-SBC-Jimmy on November 06, 2012, 03:22:30 PM
I have a 1978 MGB that I dropped in a SBC with a 3speed manual. I kept the original rear axle and I really need to drop the rpms down at highway speed. Is there anywhere to find new ring and pinions in the 3.07:1 ratio or should I be looking for a used set? I hope I can change the gears without too much trouble, and I was wondering what other parts I would need to do this gear swap. Do these rears use a non-reusable "crush sleeve" ? Thanks for any and all info, this web site and the people contributing are brilliant!
Title: Re: Source for rear gear sets for 78 mgb?.............
Post by: kstevusa on November 06, 2012, 03:53:46 PM
Most MGB owners would like a better ratio, but they are rare.  For the cost of a new 3.07 ratio gear set, you can probably narrow a GM or Ford Dif. and have it suit you much better. old Saying ! "Rare as Hen's teeth"
Title: Re: Source for rear gear sets for 78 mgb?.............
Post by: mowog1 on November 06, 2012, 05:22:24 PM
Where are you located?

I have an MGC diff (spline drive) available in a 3.7 ratio.

MGCs were available in 3.07, 3.31, and 3.7 ratios.

For my V8, I narrowed a Ford 8" and had an Auburn 3.27 posi installed.
Title: Re: Source for rear gear sets for 78 mgb?.............
Post by: roverman on November 06, 2012, 08:02:33 PM
Jimmy, IMHO, bolt in a T5 and never look back.  5 speeds and several od. ratios.  Good Luck, roverman.
Title: Re: Source for rear gear sets for 78 mgb?.............
Post by: RMO 699F on November 06, 2012, 09:49:23 PM
There is a 3.07 on ebay right now (see link)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170905951120?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Not sure where you are located but Babbit Bearing in Columbus, Ohio will take your mgb rear axle and machine @ 215 thousands off the carrier bearing..and install this CW&P...they have done many mgbs in this area including mine...
Title: Re: Source for rear gear sets for 78 mgb?.............
Post by: MGB-SBC-Jimmy on November 07, 2012, 11:07:31 AM
Thanks very much fellas for all your input! I was afraid it wasn't easily available parts for resonable prices. An overdrive would likely make the most sense for my application but I may keep looking for a narrowed rear at the local swaps. I should buy the jeep dispatcher axle in the classifieds and be done. It really looks like the perfect width, I have wheels for that pattern, I may just talk myself into it,hehehehe, thanks again!!
Title: Re: Source for rear gear sets for 78 mgb?.............
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on November 07, 2012, 04:48:50 PM
You should jump right on that. It's a deal you won't be likely to see again.

Jim
Title: Re: Source for rear gear sets for 78 mgb?.............
Post by: Simon Austin on November 10, 2012, 11:31:24 PM
You can buy a set from here:  http://www.performancebritish.com/products.php?cat=15

$598.00 CAD.
Title: Re: Source for rear gear sets for 78 mgb?.............
Post by: madmax on November 29, 2012, 12:39:36 AM
JImmy:

You can also get CW & P  from Targett Motorsport (banner ads here).  He has the 3.07 for the Salisbury diff....   New gears.    

Max