BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: 63BlueMGB on October 28, 2012, 12:07:17 AM

Title: New MGB seat Idea?
Post by: 63BlueMGB on October 28, 2012, 12:07:17 AM
Start with a slow idea and then meet for a crazy idea?
Title: Re: New MGB seat Idea?
Post by: Jim Stabe on October 28, 2012, 12:41:47 PM
Huh?

Maybe pictures would work better than words.
Title: Re: New MGB seat Idea?
Post by: 63BlueMGB on October 28, 2012, 07:34:00 PM
Sorry, I was having trouble last night logging in and could not get my computer to work right.....Anyway I had some old BMW Seat cushions from a car that I was parting out, turns out the seats were worth more in pieces than together. So I started thinking about how comfortable those seats were and wondered if I could modify them to convert to the MGB seat frame, so far it looks like a good fit, now i just have to cover them and make it all work. Any thoughts or comments I would appreciate.
phpmNa4Y1PM.jpg
phprHK95qPM.jpg
phpT12oP9PM.jpg
Title: Re: New MGB seat Idea?
Post by: RMO 699F on October 28, 2012, 08:52:36 PM
Nick, looks interesting, keep us updated...
Title: Re: New MGB seat Idea?
Post by: mowog1 on October 28, 2012, 09:56:29 PM
Here's the measurements of an MGB seat...important to take into consideration in order to fit between the sill and the transmission tunnel.
MGBSeatdimensionsjpg.jpg
Title: Re: New MGB seat Idea?
Post by: 63BlueMGB on November 21, 2012, 12:03:07 AM
I Thought about recovering the MGB Seats for the BMW foam and bought some material, but I took a chance and went to the old pick and pull today and found a pair of black BMW seats exactly what I was looking for in used but in very good condition. They almost fit perfect. I was really hoping to use the BMW seat frame but I could not make it work. So here is my recent work right now they are on the MGB frame and fit really good, I am going have to fill a little but so far they fit perfect in the MGB and comfortable. I was hoping for better pictures with the tape so you could see the measurements but no luck. They measure about 34" in height and 20" across. Thoughts?  Opinions?
seat2.jpg
phpNzlSj9PM.jpg
Title: Re: New MGB seat Idea?
Post by: roverman on November 21, 2012, 11:34:38 AM
It looks like a good start for an "Ultimate Driving Machine".  roverman.
Title: Re: New MGB seat Idea?
Post by: goat-ee on December 22, 2012, 05:01:38 AM
Nice work Nicky B!!!
Title: Re: New MGB seat Idea?
Post by: RMO 699F on December 22, 2012, 10:47:53 AM
Hey Nick, those seats will be great in the MGB!
Title: Re: New MGB seat Idea?
Post by: denvermgb on December 22, 2012, 10:57:06 AM
Nick,

What model Bimmer did you pull them from?

Brad
Title: Re: New MGB seat Idea?
Post by: 63BlueMGB on December 22, 2012, 09:43:59 PM
Brad,

The seats cushions in the original post were from a 1996 328I, However the seats I pulled from the pick and pull came from a upper mid 90's 525. I thought all the seats would be the same however these were built different and fit the mgb seat frame better. For better support, of the seat I think I have found a way to modify the mg seat frame to accept the BMW seat frame. I will be working on that in the near future and post what i find.
Title: Re: New MGB seat Idea?
Post by: denvermgb on December 24, 2012, 11:39:25 AM
Nick,

I will be very interested to see your work on these seats.  Thanks for the update.

Brad
Title: Re: New MGB seat Idea?
Post by: wwilson40 on June 09, 2013, 08:48:09 PM
Nick,

We just got a '76 MGB which needs seats redone badly. I just happen to have a '95 BMW 525i with very good seats that I am considering selling for scrap. What a nice idea. Thanks for sharing. What did you do about controls? since the 525i is a 4 door the seat doesn't go forward and all controls are motor driven servos. Also you spoke about modifications to increase stability. How did that turn out?

Thanks,

Bill
Title: Re: New MGB seat Idea?
Post by: MGBV8 on June 10, 2013, 12:57:13 AM
Nice seats, but...19" in width on the seat bottom is about the limit. Gonna be a tight squeeze.
Title: Re: New MGB seat Idea?
Post by: 63BlueMGB on June 11, 2013, 05:59:34 PM
William,

I havent got as far along on the seats as i have wanted, I tend to float all around the car when I get frustrated with something, Although it helps keep my motivation going in the car, I havent got discouraged with the seats I just moved back to the driveline and everything associated with that. The seats I pulled these seats from are a 525 mid nineties, I believe however they fit on the mgb frame almost perfect, I am going to modify the BMW frame to fit just havent got that far and for now I could just add some support to the MGB seat frame and the seats would work as is, But as you mentioned the BMW seats have so many controls not to mention they are heated it would be a shame not to use them. Here are some pictures of the seat inside my 63 on the MGB seat frame and it is really not that tight of a fit, I think it compares to all the other seats I have seen. Please note I am no way a car builder or professional just trying different things this may or may not work. But I will let you decided. any questions or thoughts are appreciated
Seat1.jpg
Seat2.jpg
Seat3.jpg
Seat4.jpg
Title: Re: New MGB seat Idea?
Post by: 63BlueMGB on June 11, 2013, 06:01:22 PM
A couple more photos
Seat5.jpg
seat6.jpg
Title: Re: New MGB seat Idea?
Post by: NCtim on June 21, 2013, 05:00:08 PM
Nick,

You might consider adding some more webbing on the frame for support, other than that it looks like a good idea.

Tim