BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: don-ho on October 16, 2012, 07:39:31 PM

Title: 302 oil pressure sense line
Post by: don-ho on October 16, 2012, 07:39:31 PM
Hello all, I am beginning to connect gauges on my 302 conversion and was wondering what is the easiest way to plumb the stock oil pressure gage? Engine builder left a 2" extension ( riser) with what appears to be npt threads ( female) at the end. I've seen this on many conversions but am unsure on what to do next. I've seen a few that appear to be Teflon hose with a compression fitting, is this a suitable method? Any advice/help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance......Don Prince
Title: Re: 302 oil pressure sense line
Post by: DC Townsend on October 16, 2012, 08:12:49 PM
The extension is there to prevent the sender from interfering with the oil filter or filter adapter if you're running a remote filter (as I would guess you are). There may also be a 45ยบ fitting on the end into which the sender fits. So, I would say, the easiest way to plumb the gauge is to simply screw your sender into the fitting, run the sender wire to the appropriate gauge. It's a good idea to use a small bit of thread compound (not thread locker of teflon tape) on the fitting to help create a firm seal.
Title: Re: 302 oil pressure sense line
Post by: don-ho on October 16, 2012, 08:31:05 PM
Thanks for the reply. Doesn't the oil pressure gauge simply take a small oil line from the oil system, I was unaware of any wires ( other than the light) that are run to the stock gauge? I am running a remote filter, might it be easier to run a line from there?
Title: Re: 302 oil pressure sense line
Post by: DC Townsend on October 16, 2012, 09:11:37 PM
Are you running a mechanical or electric gauge?
Title: Re: 302 oil pressure sense line
Post by: don-ho on October 17, 2012, 08:00:03 AM
Mechanical. Sorry, I should have specified the car is a 73 MGB.
Title: Re: 302 oil pressure sense line
Post by: DC Townsend on October 17, 2012, 10:04:05 AM
Mechanical line should still be taken from the provided riser to assure accurate reading. Threaded fitting on the end of the capillary should screw into the end of the riser although, depending on the gauge you're using, you may need an adapter.