BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: NAS1966 on August 25, 2012, 07:36:05 AM

Title: In tank fuel pump
Post by: NAS1966 on August 25, 2012, 07:36:05 AM
Did anyone use an in tank high pressure fuel pump?
Title: Re: In tank fuel pump
Post by: kstevusa on August 25, 2012, 09:14:53 AM
You can view my "how it was done" in the section of this sit.   In-tank is probably optimum way to add EFI to our cars.  mine is just one way, but it worked for me.
Title: Re: In tank fuel pump
Post by: denvermgb on August 25, 2012, 08:27:29 PM
You might PM Keith Tanner, he has been playing with fuel tanks and fuel pumps for his LS powered GT.

Brad
Title: Re: In tank fuel pump
Post by: flitner on August 27, 2012, 02:32:07 PM
Yes, I did as well, a pump for TBI GM  unit along with sender, ran a 3/8 and 5/16 forward to a pressure regulator with return, so far no problems.
Title: Re: In tank fuel pump
Post by: rficalora on August 27, 2012, 06:40:00 PM
Same.  I have a Walbro 255lph internal pump with 3/8 feed & return.  Currently running a carb so using a bypass regulator that lets 5psi thru to carb (adjustable from about 3 to ??) and the rest goes back to the tank.  Plumbed it that way so I'd be ready for FI conversion if/when I get ready to do it.
Title: Re: In tank fuel pump
Post by: mstemp on August 27, 2012, 08:35:19 PM
Rob,

Who's regulator did you use? I have a tank from Todd and may put it in now with my carb.
Title: Re: In tank fuel pump
Post by: rficalora on August 28, 2012, 07:44:30 AM
I'm using a Professional Products 106533 like this but the price has about doubled since I got mine...  http://www.spiderautomotive.com/10653.html
Title: Re: In tank fuel pump
Post by: flitner on August 28, 2012, 12:02:17 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mallory-4309-Competition-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-3-Port-Return-Style-/140815359087?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c93fdc6f&vxp=mtr
Here is the one I used on mine.
Title: Re: In tank fuel pump
Post by: rficalora on August 28, 2012, 05:59:51 PM
Do a search for bypass regulators on Summit, jegs, or speedway.  I saw some in the $60 range.  One was a Holley unit.
Title: Re: In tank fuel pump
Post by: psmg on August 28, 2012, 07:49:59 PM
Brand      Aeromotive
Manufacturer's Part Number      13301
Part Type      Fuel Pressure Regulators
Product Line      Aeromotive Universal Bypass Regulators
Summit Racing Part Number      AEI-13301
      
Fuel      Gasoline
Pressure Range (psi)      3-65
Regulator Style      Return
Regulator Location      Inline
Boost/Vacuum Reference Port      Yes
Boost/Vacuum Rise Ratio      1:1
Gauge Port      No
Mounting Bracket Included      Yes
Fittings Included      No
Rebuildable      Yes
Inlet Quantity      One
Inlet Attachment      Female threads
Inlet Size      3/8 in. NPT
Outlet Quantity      Three
Outlet Attachment      Female threads
Outlet Size      3/8 in. NPT
Return Attachment      Female threads
Return Fitting Size      3/8 in. NPT
Regulator Material      Aluminum
Regulator Finish      Red anodized
Quantity      Sold individually.
Notes      The installed low pressure spring will adjust fuel pressure from 3-20 psi, the included high pressure spring must be installed to adjust fuel pressure from 20-65 psi.
 

Rob,
This is the regulator that I used. I installed it with the new fuel tank from Todd Budde but initially used a carburator and was able to use the weaker spring for less pressure. After switching to EFI, all I had to do was install the stiffer spring and adjust accordingly. One time install.
Title: Re: In tank fuel pump
Post by: rficalora on August 28, 2012, 09:50:43 PM
Hmmm... looks ike I should have done more research before I bought the one I got...  I didn't realize I'd need a regulator when I switched to FI.  Just assumed the injectors would work with the high pressure pump.
Title: Re: In tank fuel pump
Post by: kstevusa on August 29, 2012, 07:20:19 AM
Rob, the Ford EFI systems have a regulator and depending if 93 or earlier has the return line requirement.  94 and later 5.0L does not have a return, but modulates the fuel pump pulse i think.
Title: Re: In tank fuel pump
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on August 29, 2012, 07:56:11 AM
More common to see a fpr at the terminal end of the fuel rail, that way the fuel keeps the rail cooler.

Jim