BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: pspeaks on August 03, 2012, 07:37:19 PM

Title: MGB Trailer
Post by: pspeaks on August 03, 2012, 07:37:19 PM
This is just a thought, but has anyone put a receiver hitch on an MGB and if so can it be hidden without the ball so as not to be too ugly?  I haven't made up my mind to do it, but a small trailer might be nice for medium to long trips.



Paul
Title: Re: MGB Trailer
Post by: Moderator on August 03, 2012, 08:45:20 PM
Yep. Two of our MGB guys come to mind, Steve DeGroat and Bernie Posey. Here's a snapshot of Steve's trailer hitch:

(http://www.britishv8.org/MG/SteveDeGroat/SteveDeGroat-AA.JPG)

I bet he'll post shortly with some tips.
Title: Re: MGB Trailer
Post by: Capt'n Moorgone on August 03, 2012, 09:12:17 PM
Paul ,I mounted a 1" square tube verticlly behind the bumper out of sight.Then you just cut the ball mount and weld it 90 degrees to vertical.I can get you some pics if interested.My car is a rubber bumper car converted to chrome.Might be tougher on a chrome bumper.   Mike
Title: Re: MGB Trailer
Post by: MGBV8 on August 04, 2012, 10:23:50 AM
We want pics, Mikey!

What about Steve Carrick's MGB?
Title: Re: MGB Trailer
Post by: pspeaks on August 04, 2012, 03:07:01 PM
Yes, pictures would be a big help if its not too much trouble, thanks.

Paul
Title: Re: MGB Trailer
Post by: Citron on August 08, 2012, 04:39:22 PM
Paul,
I got a receiver off of a Pontiac wagon from the juck yard for $20.  It was about 5 ft long.  Just cut it to length, and wlded on brakets for the ends and bolted on where the rear bumper attached.  If you are running bumpers, just use onger bolts.  It does make the exhaust a little more fun.  Mins stops before the receiver.
I have used it for many miles now.  Even towed an MGC on a dolley home with it.(maybe 5 miles)
Good luck.

Steve
Title: Re: MGB Trailer
Post by: pspeaks on August 08, 2012, 05:41:23 PM
Thanks Steve, I did something like that on my T-Bucket but I didn't have to deal with suspension, exhaust, or a gas tank. On second thought, I guess I didn't do something like that!!


Paul