BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: rficalora on July 27, 2012, 08:45:20 AM

Title: And I thought I'd made a lot of mods...
Post by: rficalora on July 27, 2012, 08:45:20 AM
Check this one out... http://m.jalopnik.com/5928606/for-13900-get-ferrari-exclusivity-in-the-mg-price-range
Title: Re: And I thought I'd made a lot of mods...
Post by: Moderator on July 27, 2012, 01:09:50 PM
This is from one of our own.  Barry Preston has made a business of building MGB V8s with updated styling. It's good to see him getting wider publicity.

<a href="http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Canadian-Corner-XIV-3.htm">Here's a particularly handsome Barry Prestonmobile - the Brooklands GT</a>




(http://www.britishv8.org/Sponsors/BrooklandsRoadster3.jpg)
Title: Re: And I thought I'd made a lot of mods...
Post by: madmax on July 28, 2012, 06:22:37 PM
Wow.... the vote is 85% AGAINST!  

I'm not enamored of the looks, but it asked if $14K was a good price.   And I think it is!  

So who all is thinking they could come up with anything similarly modified for even DOUBLE that amount of money?   Talk about Crack Pipe!   :-)

M
Title: Re: And I thought I'd made a lot of mods...
Post by: Bill Young on July 28, 2012, 07:13:02 PM
Max, most of those guys don't really think about what they're saying, just get on the band wagon with however the car is presented, in this case very negatively. I persoinally don't like the styling, but the workmanship is very good and certainly worth the price. You guys will be more impressed with the mods that Don Bonar is making to his MGB V6 when he brings it to the meet in Omaha. Really nice design work on his car.
Title: Re: And I thought I'd made a lot of mods...
Post by: rficalora on July 28, 2012, 10:19:53 PM
I even like the styling.  If you don't think of it as an MG & just look at it as a cool car, I think the styling works.  And there's no way you could do anything similar for $14k
Title: Re: And I thought I'd made a lot of mods...
Post by: MGBV8 on July 28, 2012, 10:22:55 PM
I hear ya, Rob.  I like it. I would like it more if I didn't know it was an MG.
Title: Re: And I thought I'd made a lot of mods...
Post by: roverman on July 31, 2012, 02:01:44 PM
Ok, "Scariest Parts of Other Monsters", logic would suggest a Fiat, you know, "fix it again -Tony". Only fitting a Fiat 124 would morph into a Ferrari wannabe ?  Cheers, roverman.
Title: Re: And I thought I'd made a lot of mods...
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on July 31, 2012, 02:46:35 PM
Well if you wannabe a Ferrari wouldn't it make sense to start with an Italian car? Seems like you would be starting out closer. I guess you could always start out with a Fire-Arrow though. Snap on plastic body panels was a way cool concept.

I like the Brooklands if only for the creativity. And I liked the builder when I met him at Carlisle many years back. For those reasons alone I'm inclined to like this new design. There is a lot of creativity in this community and that keeps things dynamic and exciting. I'd hate to see us become as hidebound and inflexible as some other groups I could name,  so bring on the new designs! I think it's great.

Jim