BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: Moderator on July 02, 2012, 03:26:52 PM

Title: New to the gallery: Ken Nicks' 1974 MGB GT V6
Post by: Moderator on July 02, 2012, 03:26:52 PM
This is the third article in a series of "How It Was Done" articles about the cars of BritishV8 2012.

<a href="http://www.britishv8.org/MG/KenNicks.htm">Ken Nicks' 1974 MGB GT with GM 3.4L V6 Engine</a>

This car is presented in its factory-original color: "Mirage." I believe the MG factory only offered this color in 1974. I don't believe I've ever seen another car this color, and probably never will. It certainly is distinctive and alluring, isn't it!
(http://www.britishv8.org/MG/KenNicks/KenNicks-AA.JPG)

Lots of trick features on this one:
(http://www.britishv8.org/MG/KenNicks/KenNicks-AL.JPG)
(Fuel filler hidden under tail light. Body-color bumper modified to fit more tightly to body. Etc.)

Exceptionally "clean" mechanical details too:
(http://www.britishv8.org/MG/KenNicks/KenNicks-BF.JPG)

I'm looking forward to doing another article on Ken's other improved British car... a 1951 Jaguar MkVII V8-conversion!


Ken has the experience and resources to build really exceptional cars because he's in the business.

In fact, his company is our newest BritishV8 vendor sponsor:
(http://www.britishv8.org/Sponsors/EclecticRodsAndRestorations.gif)
Title: Re: New to the gallery: Ken Nicks' 1974 MGB GT V6
Post by: Jim Stabe on July 02, 2012, 04:55:11 PM
Beautiful job. I like the bumper treatments and I would like to see more detail on the hinged tail light gas filler
Title: Re: New to the gallery: Ken Nicks' 1974 MGB GT V6
Post by: rficalora on July 02, 2012, 08:53:59 PM
That's the same Hagen fuel filler I have on my car.  I never thought of hiding it behind the tail lights.  Reminiscent of a '56 Chevy, a few Cadillacs and 55 Imperial.
Title: Re: New to the gallery: Ken Nicks' 1974 MGB GT V6
Post by: Moderator on July 02, 2012, 11:55:46 PM
I didn't get a better photo. As I understand it, there's a machine screw at the top of the taillamp assembly with a coil spring between the nut and body on the interior side (to help to hold the lamp tight when not adding fuel). At the bottom, there's a pin (inboard) and a snap fastener (outboard.)
Title: Re: New to the gallery: Ken Nicks' 1974 MGB GT V6
Post by: lawnvett on July 11, 2012, 05:38:47 PM
Ken does excellent work and is a great friend!
IMG_2419.jpg
Title: Re: New to the gallery: Ken Nicks' 1974 MGB GT V6
Post by: Preform Resources on July 11, 2012, 05:52:07 PM
I believe that car was at Mad dogs, the car is beautiful and the color is truly unique.
Dave
Title: Re: New to the gallery: Ken Nicks' 1974 MGB GT V6
Post by: pspeaks on July 11, 2012, 06:35:19 PM
Ken does do nice work; does anybody know what kind of cruise control he used?

Paul
Title: Re: New to the gallery: Ken Nicks' 1974 MGB GT V6
Post by: rficalora on July 11, 2012, 07:47:40 PM
Looks like the Audiovox one.  Another to look at is Rostra.
Title: Re: New to the gallery: Ken Nicks' 1974 MGB GT V6
Post by: MG four six eight on July 15, 2012, 12:53:13 AM
Very nice touches indeed!
Any idea what Ken used for a fuel filler neck and cap?

Today I had fuel leak out of the cap and blister the paint off the car :-( :-( Since I'm going to have to re-paint the back end of the car, I may as well go with a different set-up to keep it from happening again.

Bill
Title: Re: New to the gallery: Ken Nicks' 1974 MGB GT V6
Post by: Moderator on July 15, 2012, 01:26:44 AM
cap: http://www.haganauto.com/product_p/fdcap.htm
Title: Re: New to the gallery: Ken Nicks' 1974 MGB GT V6
Post by: MG four six eight on July 15, 2012, 01:54:56 AM
Cool, thanks Curtis!
Title: Re: New to the gallery: Ken Nicks' 1974 MGB GT V6
Post by: rficalora on July 15, 2012, 08:17:19 AM
Bill, he cap requires their filler neck stub (doesn't use a standard cap thread).  Check here for the cap w/neck.  Also if you go with this, be careful where you put it.  I have the same one on my car and the angle of the cap combined with the angle I had to run the neck itself causes a lot of splash back - I can't get the pump's nozzle all the way in..  I have to fill very slowly as a result.  I even got one of the McCuff things they sell but it didn't help.  Net, mock up what u plan to do and test it @ a pump before u weld it to the car & paint.

Another option is to graft in the door/filler assembly from a salvage yard.
Title: Re: New to the gallery: Ken Nicks' 1974 MGB GT V6
Post by: MG four six eight on July 15, 2012, 11:46:29 PM
Thanks Rob, I've been doing web searching on filler necks and I see that quite a few of them have a vent tube that loops back to the upper part of the neck. I suppose to help with filling issues, the trick will be to find one that has a fairly tight bend but still allows the nozzel to fit in.
Probably will do some wrecking yard seaching next week to see whats out there. If I come up with something interesting, I'll post it over in the body section!

Bill