Hello all, pleased to post for the first time outside of the engine and transmission tech forums. I am currently working on a partial restoration and engine swap on my MGB. I will be using a VW Turbodiesel engine (TDI specifically), allowing excellent gas mileage while still giving a horsepower and torque increase from the stock 4-Cylinder. I already have the car gutted and cleaned, so I am now searching for an engine. I have already gone to the local junkyard, but was unable to find anything. Currently I am doing internet research for TDIs. I just figured since I am doing this conversion I should make it known to the British V8 community. I have already posted on the Engine and Transmission Tech forums on this subject, but thought that it would be good to have a non-technical thread on the car to post in also. Thank you for taking the time to read on this subject, as I appreciate your intrest.
-Matt
WTG, Mat. wish you great fortune and success in your project. Great to have your help in repairing my glasses. What are you thoughst on the rear dif and ratios? the diesel will loaf at 2600-2800 RPM. the rear gears will need to be in higher end of what we gas burners use. I think your choice is excellent. look fwd to seeing a completed project.
Thanks, and by the way, despite the TDI being a FWD engine this will be a RWD car. FWD + MGB = NO. I haven't thought about the differential yet... definitely something to look into. Thanks for mentioning it. Right now though, the problem is getting the engine. The details can be sorted out. Also i need to look into how tall the TDI is, because from what i hear it is a fairly tall engine, and while I have no problems with cutting a hole in the hood, I would perfer not to cut a hole in the hood. (Contradictory statement for the win.) I would like to be able to pop the hood and watch people look at it for a second and get confused :P, but I can live without that.
-Matt
Quote.....and while I have no problems with cutting a hole in the hood,.....
Yep, not like your dad's conversion.......
Blackwood1.jpg
Yeah, it's a departure from my dad's swap for sure.
-Matt
Matthew, You can also notch the crossmember like the Ford V8 conversions. Some Toyota 4X4's modify the oil pan instead of jacking up their rig.
Now you guys are just embarrassing me. I'll get it done. Just a thing or three I have to do first....
Jim
Matthew, I'm curious to hear your thoughts about the aesthetic details. Are you thinking about paint, trim, and interior details yet? Given time and money, would you prefer a mostly stock Q-car, a shiny show car, a rat-rod, or something else entirely? Do you imagine yourself driving this thing to school & work one day, or will it mostly be a toy?
I would like to use this car as a daily driver, but I will not be doing a full restoration. Currently all i want to do is get it on the road. The aesthetics can come later. However, to answer your question, about the only thing custom on this car will be the engine swap. The interior needs to be completely redone, as it is trashed. The seats are okay, but i need to put on new covers. This will not be a show car, and the paint will be purple acrylic enamel, just like the stock car. I am keeping the trim strips and side blinkers, because i like them. Nothing fancy, and nothing outrageous. Just getting it done so I can get it on the road. After college when I have some more money to throw at the car, I will do some custom modifications and fix all of the minor details, but for now that can wait. :]
-Matt
Smart man... must come from your mom's side ;)
Matt:
Sounds cool!
Let me share what I know: Our Jetta TDI measures the following: 22" tall (but it's slanted), 23" long (or, in a FWD car, "wide') and about 20" across (this would be 'width' in your B engine bay.) Basically-- NOT BAD! The std B motor is 24" oil pan to valve cover.
I took these measurements with the plastic cover on. You strip that down, you probably even gain an inch or more. However, the engine IS tilted in the VW. (probably about 20 degrees?). Were you to mount that straight up, yes, you *might* be a little taller than the std B mill.
This is a great motor to choose. However, it's also a VALUABLE motor! Our car has over 200K miles on it, yet the book value is still $8K (because it IS a TDI and desirable.) I hope you can find an inexpensive motor, but alas I wouldn't bet on it!
The BIG problem, I think, will be all the hippy VW guys! They love that motor and are always doing swaps with it (and making them bio-diesel, etc.) In fact, to try to locate this motor, as well as resources on conversions (and maybe even RWD?) you might want to go looking on Vanagon sites, as well as Golf and Jetta sites? LOTS of guys out there doing conversions. There are at least two down here in my area alone, and a guy that works with us part-time is one of them. (And he says it's very difficult to find the donor cars!)
Along with that, I do not know of when that engine was ever used in a RWD layout! So, I would think that your transmission would be the biggest stumbling block.
Now... IF you wanted to go Mercedes Diesel, that would be much more straightforward... :-)
Best of luck,
Max
Wow, Matt, you've gone from talking about this project at the V8 Meet to jumping right on it! You have quite an advantage on most of us with the resources available to you at Blackwood Labs. So I know you will "Git 'er done!"
Just need to do something about that rod knocking noise. ;)
Thumbs up, Matt!
Now go fix yourself some hot chocolate!
<grin>
Great now I have chocolate cravings, thanks Rick...
Anyways onto the real reason I am posting this- I happen to have found a VW TDI nut that needs a VW transmission along with a couple other parts but not the engine. (Basically a donor.) He is willing to split the costs on one that has been rolled into a ball, so I may be able to get the engine without shelling out 1.5k. $800 or so I may be able to swing since I have half of that and a 16th Birthday coming up.... So I may be able to get this engine affordably. Also in terms of finding a donor, he happens to have a few contacts he could call. Wish me luck!
Also, if you wish to hear a little more on the technical details of the car, go ahead and check out my VW Diesel thread in the engine and transmission tech forum. :D
-Matt
So you want a turbo diesel? Check out Rover 4.4L super twin turbo diesel for sale in EBAY Australia! Are these imported to the USA even.........good luck tadpole
Quote$800 or so I may be able to swing since I have half of that and a 16th Birthday coming up..
Hmmm....... a few birthday cards would help with that! :)
hi Matthew,im doing that myself .glad to see that someone else is going the same way.it is not an easy job and is never been done before (as far i know) so you can't get any useful info.if you have some questions just ask.good luck