BritishV8 Forum

General Category => Triumph Sports Cars => Topic started by: Spin Out on October 11, 2011, 04:17:27 PM

Title: $2011 GRM Challenge TR8
Post by: Spin Out on October 11, 2011, 04:17:27 PM
We built a TR7 for the Grassroots Motorsports Magazine $2011 Challenge. The links below are from their site, scroll around a bit to see the car.

I found a rusted out TR8 with a hole threw the block, my buddy found a clean '75 TR7 coupe, and we scored a 4.2 litre Rover V-8 for only $200 on Craig's list. (Oh, and a wet shot of Nitrous Oxide for $125.)

We aded lowering springs, Poly bushings, new brakes, used race tires, A ton of welding, Paint,
And almost exactly 1,000 of labour .... and there you have it.

The rules let you do whatever you want as long as the car is basically street legal, and you don't spend more than $2011 in total. Things like seat belts, and stock brake parts do not count in the budget.


https://picasaweb.google.com/105144711517507449576/GRM2011Challenge#
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/2011-picturevideo-thread/40582/page1/
parked.JPG
tr720group204420tribute20engine.jpg
compressed.JPG
cone.JPG
Title: Re: $2011 GRM Challenge TR8
Post by: Moderator on October 11, 2011, 06:24:08 PM
Cool!

Those tires look so small and skinny. What size are they?
Title: Re: $2011 GRM Challenge TR8
Post by: Bill Young on October 12, 2011, 08:01:53 AM
Look like 205 13 Hoosiers on a narrow 6" rim. Plenty of tractrion with those slicks even for the V8. That last photo is pretty gory, those poor cones being crushed. LOL
Definitely a nice car. Well done.
Title: Re: $2011 GRM Challenge TR8
Post by: Spin Out on October 12, 2011, 08:52:36 AM
Thanks.
Yes, 205 on factory 13".  Very good eye.  The car weighed in at 2018 pounds, so 205s were plenty.  
More photos.  (I'm the taller guy, Tod is the ..... person of correct height.)
small100_0908markandtod.JPG
small100_0628boxedarms.JPG
small100_0973trunk.JPG
small100_0974interior.JPG
Title: Re: $2011 GRM Challenge TR8
Post by: Spin Out on October 12, 2011, 02:50:57 PM
small100_0625subframe.JPG
small100_0757trunkhood.JPG
small100_0753struts.JPG
small100_0742paint.JPG

Sorry for all the photos, but This is the only forum I can actually figure out how to use.
Title: Re: $2011 GRM Challenge TR8
Post by: tr8todd on October 13, 2011, 06:17:17 AM
Car looks great.  Looks very similar to a Dolomite powered TR7 Sprint track car I used to have.  Thru the use of fiberglass bumpers, hood, and trunk, and some serious metal and glass removal, the car was under 1800 pounds.  That was with a full cage.  Your next investment should be some coil overs on the front.  They help a ton with the corner weighting and general overall handling.
Title: Re: $2011 GRM Challenge TR8
Post by: Spin Out on October 13, 2011, 08:30:36 AM
Hi Todd,
You had sent me an email (and photos) when I was doing the sell off on evil bay.
I saved that email because you had a lot of good ideas in it, but we were out of time.
We now have some time before $2012, and an additional dollar to spend.  :)
Title: Re: $2011 GRM Challenge TR8
Post by: bsa_m21 on October 13, 2011, 08:59:04 AM
Mark

Can you provide some additional photos of the brake cooling shrouds?  They look interesting.

Martin
Title: Re: $2011 GRM Challenge TR8
Post by: tr8todd on October 13, 2011, 04:58:57 PM
Those are stock TR8 front brake shrouds.  The TR7 ones are flat and right up against the back of the rotor.  Mark, you can shoot me an email whenever you want.  I'd be happy to help any way possible.  In fact, I'm getting ready to do another run of fiberglass bumpers, but I had to make new molds first.  I laid them up last weekend, and the new molds should be ready to go in a week or so.