BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: rficalora on September 21, 2011, 12:11:30 PM

Title: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: rficalora on September 21, 2011, 12:11:30 PM
I need some sort of good looking windshield washer reservior.  Thinking something along the lines of a metal box or cylinder shaped overflow reservior that I can re-purpose.  Maybe black anodized or polished or something I can paint body color.  Prefer to avoid the typical plastic reservoirs.  I've looked at the stainless overflow reservoirs on ebay; what I found was too tall.  Should hold somewhere around a quart; a bit more would be even better I think.  

Another option would be a smallish plastic reservior that I could make a box to fit around.  The after market ones I've found are way too big though.

Any ideas?
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: Bill Young on September 21, 2011, 12:43:11 PM
Rob, how about an expansion tank in aluminum? Summit Racing has a variety of those in different shapes and capacities. You should be able to find somthing that would fit in the space you need and look great. http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=expansion%20tank&dds=1
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: DC Townsend on September 21, 2011, 01:43:59 PM
I was in the same spot as you are...looking for a decent reservoir. I too tried one of the aftermarket plastic ones but it just looked out of place. I actually ended up with one of the early bag-style MG soft reservoirs that hangs on the fender well. Not only does it take up a small space but it looks like it belongs there. Bought the reservoir and pump from Moss (all the usual suspects have them), sourced the bracket on E-bay for $3 but you could easily bend one yourself if you can't find one.
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: rficalora on September 21, 2011, 03:14:31 PM
Bill, some of the ones @ Summit Racing are like what I'm after -- but I'm hoping to find something in the $20-50 range vs. $100 & up.  Just can't see spending that much for the reservoir.  I'm hoping there's something from a non-auto industry that someone will think of that I can do a simple mod to fit a hose barb to the bottom.
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: DiDueColpi on September 21, 2011, 05:39:23 PM
Hey Rob,
Have a look at an industrial spray foam can. The ones that the contractors use.
They are a thick spun aluminum can that holds around 2 litres.
I think I have one at home still. Will try to send a picture after work.
Cheers
Fred
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: rficalora on September 21, 2011, 09:03:53 PM
some sort of spun bottle was one of the ideas I'd had.  Stopped in a couple of convenience stores but the drink ones were either too small or too tall.  Looking forward to seeing the spray foam can.
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: flitner on September 22, 2011, 11:16:09 AM
Small fire extinguisher bottles are what I used for the catch can and washer bottle, hold on I'll be right back and try for a couple pictures. I just turned the threads out of the neck on the washer bottle and fabbed up a plug with an oring with a dipstick to keep it from coming out. Then turned up and welded in a plug for the overflow, welded in a tube to the bottom for the siphon and a vent up high that returns downward to drain. I would have posted this on the MGE as well but it wont open for me this morning I think my computer is sick again.
washerovverflow001.JPG
washerovverflow002.JPG
washerovverflow003.JPG
washerovverflow004.JPG
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: Bill Young on September 22, 2011, 11:46:10 AM
Rob, how about an old Army canteen? This one is on our local craigslist for $10. It would be easy to tap in a fitting on the bottom and use the cup for a mount. Right size and capacity and would make an interesting item under the hood. It and the cup would polish up nicely.
canteen.jpg
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: tr8todd on September 22, 2011, 09:28:34 PM
I like those aluminum evap canisters used on all of the 80s GM cars with AC.
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: DiDueColpi on September 23, 2011, 04:09:32 AM
So Rob,
I've torn the "Man Cave"/sanctuary apart and can't find one of those foam cans. Must have used it somewhere on the kids rod.
And maybe that's a good thing. You have a nice clean engine bay and the can is just another,"Yawn", spun aluminum can.
Other than Bills canteen idea, which I think is way too cool, what about putting the reservoir away somewhere like the trunk or in a wheel well?
Size won't be such an issue, You can cover it so it looks posh. And the uninformed masses will think you're quite clever.
Cheers
Fred
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: rficalora on September 23, 2011, 11:28:09 AM
I liked the canteen idea but decided it'd be a bit out of place -- nothing else military or aircraft themed or looking.  Also thought about using a flask which I thought would look cool but wife overruled that -- bad idea mixing alcohol & cars w/two younger teenage boys.  Can't argue w/that one.

So, I punted.  Found a rectangular plastic one from Dorman.  Going to use it & fabricate a metal cover so only the cap shows.  Cover will be painted body color.  Mounted up by the firewall in the corner I think it'll blend in & sort of "disappear".
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: burner1 on September 24, 2011, 10:03:16 AM
I made an aluminum reservoir which it the recess:


(http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/mg2/cleanup/cup1.jpg)

(http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/mg2/cleanup/cup4.jpg)
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: mgb260 on September 24, 2011, 11:59:32 AM
Hey Gary, Welome aboard!
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: burner1 on September 24, 2011, 12:05:16 PM
Thanks Jim
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: rficalora on September 24, 2011, 01:10:59 PM
That is awesome Gary.  I'd forgotten about it but recall now seeing it when you posted it @ the MG Experience site.  I'll have to learn how to TIG or get a spool gun for my MIG before I could do something like that.

Anyone use a MIG spool gun for aluminum?  How well does it work & what do the welds look like?
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: burner1 on September 24, 2011, 01:18:27 PM
I don't think I would build tanks with spool gun. Aluminum migging is better for construction of thinks like trailers, brackets, etc.

You could build a tank such as that from fiberglass.
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: flitner on September 25, 2011, 10:07:25 AM
Scroll back up and look at the fan shroud behind the radiator I did that with my spool gun as I didnt have the econotig as of yet, It is only .063 I also put the end cap and sending unit ring on my fuel tank with it, and had no ill effects other than repeated pressure testing and chasing a couple pinholes.
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: Bruce Mills on September 28, 2011, 08:45:32 AM
Hi Rob

I had the same problem. What to use which would look good without taking up a lot of room. Then I realized I only drive the car in the summer and I never used the windscreen washer. I never put a windscreen washer container in (pump etc all installed out of site) and @ six years I have never missed it nor felt a need for it. On a long trip the windscreen is cleaned every morning.

FWIW

Bruce
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: Moderator on September 28, 2011, 10:45:05 AM
+1   (I removed the nozzles and welded-up the holes... and have never missed them!)
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: MGBV8 on September 28, 2011, 05:59:53 PM
I'm with Bruce & Curtis. Had my MGB for 23 years, I don't remember the washers ever working.
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: kstevusa on September 28, 2011, 07:53:38 PM
As usual,  i beg to be different!. I find my washer handy and use it frequently. Even use the fluid with Rainex in it.  Guess it depends, whether you are the "Bug" or the "Windshield"

SAFETY FASTER!
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: burner1 on September 29, 2011, 07:41:22 AM
I use mine from time to time. I guess if it works you use it more.

I did not put the push button pump back in though. I went to Autozone and asked to look at some 12v washer pumps. He bought out a whole box and I picked one which worked for what I was doing. It had mounting ears and was not too big.
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: djw090 on September 29, 2011, 08:33:22 AM
Don't you have any kind of vehicle fittness to be on the road inspection like our MoT test?
Over here you have to have washers that work and wipers if you have a fixed windscreen like on a B.
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on September 29, 2011, 08:52:19 AM
In KY we don't even have a safety inspection and they quit doing emissions testing 5 or 6 years ago. Unless a cop cites you... there's a lot you could get by with not having. But I'm with Kelley, I use the washer.

JB

Less laws = more freedom
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: Dan B on September 29, 2011, 10:37:09 AM
Gotta have a clean windshield.
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: rficalora on September 29, 2011, 05:53:15 PM
I use mine a lot too.  TX does have a safety inspection.  Rules say functioning wipers required.  Don't specify washers but I want them anyway.
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on September 30, 2011, 07:56:02 AM
See that's my point. No need for a law. We can decide if we need them or not.

JB
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: rficalora on September 30, 2011, 11:22:20 AM
I'm with you Jim -- we're way over regulated in this country.  We've substituted government legislation for common sense, personal and moral accountability... and it's a poor substitute!
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: mgbrv8 on October 04, 2011, 10:01:42 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLISHED-ALUMINUM-OVERFLOW-TANK-UNIVERSAL-2x10-/190575371001?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5f2d62f9

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WEAPON-R-24OZ-POLISHED-OIL-CATCH-CAN-UNIVERSAL-ALUMINUM-/260860389969?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cbc7daa51

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLISHED-ALUMINUM-OVERFLOW-TANK-UNIVERSAL-2X13-/190568880637?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5eca59fd
Title: Re: Looking for ideas for windshield washer reservior
Post by: rficalora on October 04, 2011, 02:40:21 PM
Thanks David.

I'm actually using one of those cylinder type tanks for my radiator overflow.  Unfortunately they won't fit where I want to put my windshield washer reservoir.

I got a simple plastic rectangular tank from Dorman that I'm going to mount on the heater shelf opposite the pedal box.  I have a spare early style pedal box cover that I'm going to modify to make a cover for it that'll be painted to match & should look like it was meant to be there.