BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: mgbrv8 on September 05, 2011, 01:33:15 PM

Title: Headlights
Post by: mgbrv8 on September 05, 2011, 01:33:15 PM
I was wondering what people have done with MGB head lights. I was thinking about frenching mine. I would like too see what all of you have done.

I was kinda of thinking of something like this
http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/blog/images/21/fhl2.jpg

Dave
Title: Re: Headlights
Post by: rficalora on September 05, 2011, 10:06:18 PM
I didn't french mine, but I did shave the side markers & turn signals/parking lights.  I then used some headlights with turn/parking lights built into them like these... http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/15610/HEADLIGHT_7_W_HALOGEN_BULB_LED_PARK_LIGHTS_TURN.html

I also really like what Dennis McIntyre did on his - he grafted in headlights from a mini if I recall... http://www.britishv8.org/MG/DennisMcIntyre.htm
Title: Re: Headlights
Post by: jblanchard@hcpg.net on September 16, 2011, 12:31:24 PM
David,

Frenched headlights would look very good.  In fact, I almost frenched mine on my MGA, sometimes I wish I had.

I did similiar to what Rob did: I shaved the turn signals and changed headlights to halogens with built in turn signals.  I had the grill and headlight rims painted to resemble carbon fiber.
CarbonFiberPrep.jpg
Headlightone.jpg

Jeb
Title: Re: Headlights
Post by: DC Townsend on September 16, 2011, 03:26:37 PM
David,

If you'd like to see what they would look like, along with any other mods you may want to consider, let me know and I can provide a rendering for you. Here are couple of recent examples - http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?4,26082 - this one is for Art Gertz and this one - http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?2,26013 - is mine.

Regards,

David
Title: Re: Headlights
Post by: mgb260 on September 16, 2011, 05:34:37 PM
Because of the recess of the MGB headlight pre 67 VW beetle(think Porsche Spyder) would look good. For straight rims an old trick was 56 Ford pickup headlight buckets and rims.
498665383_0e325cbc08.jpg
150745_1956_Ford__F-100_Pickup.jpg
Title: Re: Headlights
Post by: DC Townsend on September 16, 2011, 08:25:45 PM
Here you go. Not sure if this is your color but the shot was high-res enough to work. While I was at it, I also removed the turn lamps and side markers . Looks clean. Image is low-res.

Frenched_headlights_lr.jpg

Cheers,

David
Title: Re: Headlights
Post by: NCtim on January 22, 2012, 05:26:39 PM
Does anyone have build pictures on Dennis McIntyre's Dodge Omni headlight conversion? I'm also intrigued by the VW Beetle Headlight conversion. I have a couple of extra full headlight assemblies from my wife's New Beetle that might be handy.