BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: coolmgcma on May 22, 2011, 07:31:51 PM

Title: Drum to Disk
Post by: coolmgcma on May 22, 2011, 07:31:51 PM
I have a 1980 B with among other things a cut down rear end from a S10.  This unit currently has drum brakes and I want to convert to disk.  So my question is what model cars do I need to look for in a junk yard to cannibalize parts?
Title: Re: Drum to Disk
Post by: mgb260 on May 22, 2011, 11:12:39 PM
Mark, We need more info. Did you retain Chevy 5 lug pattern or redrill the axles to MGB 4X4.5 pattern. If Chevy, a lot of guys use S-10 front 4x4 rotors on rear with Cadillac Eldorado or Seville calipers(GM metric with parking brake). If MGB pattern,Hyundai,Saab, Honda Civic,Honda Prelude,Acura Legend rotor same pattern. Make your own bracket to match caliper.
Title: Re: Drum to Disk
Post by: coolmgcma on May 23, 2011, 07:17:07 AM
Sorry I did not include more information.  The rear end I have is out of an S10 cut down to fit a 1980 MGB, the lug pattern is 4 on 4 1/2 or stock MG.  I was hoping calipers and rotors from something like a late 80's or early 09's Camero would do the job.  So any help along these lines would be greatly appreciated, thanks Mark.
Title: Re: Drum to Disk
Post by: mgb260 on May 23, 2011, 08:23:42 AM
You could have the rotors redrilled to 4 lug but the brakes up front would have to be ugraded to match.
Title: Re: Drum to Disk
Post by: ex-tyke on May 23, 2011, 09:40:33 AM
Conversion from disc/drum to disc/disc brakes might also require a compatible master cylinder and proportioning valve. Do your homework before you commit to parts.
Title: Re: Drum to Disk
Post by: coolmgcma on May 23, 2011, 11:02:05 AM
Up front I have vented rotors with Wilwood calipers, I also install one of their master cylinders with a 1 inch bore and pressure check valves from Summit.  In addition I can drill different lug holes or machine out the bore of the rotors to fit hubs, what I don't know is what other GM cars are compatible with my S10 rear end from a disk brake point of view.  Thanks Mark
Title: Re: Drum to Disk
Post by: Moderator on May 23, 2011, 11:14:50 AM
Perhaps this will help: http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/2007-TechSession6.htm

QuoteIf you want disc brakes, General Motors used three different calipers on these axles. You can choose from the following:
Option 1 (from the Versailles) is an iron caliper and a helix parking brake
Option 2 (from 92-99) is an aluminum caliper, and the parking brake is inside the rotor bell, which works better
Option 3 (from 99-on) is also an aluminum caliper, and the parking brake is inside the rotor bell, which works better
Title: Re: Drum to Disk
Post by: mgb260 on May 23, 2011, 11:28:46 PM
Curtis, The Versaille is a Lincoln 9" . I think you mean Seville(or Eldorado). Mark, the option one is the one I suggested earlier. 80's midsize FWD rear Metric caliper used in street rod rear disc conversions. Speedway sells them for $99 each . The S-10 83-92 front 4X4 disc is the same as the rear disc on those cars. So an easy swap to the S-10 axle after drilling the rotors to 4 bolt. Probably still require a proportioning valve. See if D&D will sell the caliper bracket, if not ,should be easy to figure out.
Title: Re: Drum to Disk
Post by: coolmgcma on May 24, 2011, 09:55:45 AM
Thanks guys I am off to the junk your Friday to forage for parts, and as it's one of my favorite thing to do should be fun.
Title: Re: Drum to Disk
Post by: J Man on August 19, 2011, 05:43:29 PM
Just to make things a little easier for you. The last of the S10 based Blazers, Jimmys and Bravadas came with disc brakes. This might give you a simple bolt on swap.