BritishV8 Forum

General Category => The BritishV8 Pub => Topic started by: DiDueColpi on February 03, 2011, 09:35:51 PM

Title: Google Ads
Post by: DiDueColpi on February 03, 2011, 09:35:51 PM
Anyone know how to delete the Google ads that pop up in the middle of the screen?
They tend to block out a large part of the page and you can't move or get rid of them.
It's making a good portion of the forum list inacessible.


Thanks
Fred
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: rficalora on February 03, 2011, 10:52:43 PM
I don't usually have that problem Fred but have noticed it sometimes.  Seems to happen if I start scrolling down before the page has finished loading.  If you hit the reload button on Internet Explorer (or whatever browser you're using) it usually gets the ads back between the posts like they're supposed to be.
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: bsa_m21 on February 04, 2011, 08:18:50 AM
What browser are you using?  Many have optional settings to block pop-ups. Some have add-on s/w available known as "pop-up blockers".

Have you installed the "Google Toolbar" that comes free with many downloads.  It tries to prevent you from blocking the pop-ups.  If you have it, go to your Add-on's menu item and remove it.

Also, check your internet security settings and reset it to the default setting.

Martin
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on February 04, 2011, 08:44:57 AM
Tools/Options/Content tab. Block Pop-ups. (Firefox)

JB
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: Moderator on February 04, 2011, 10:09:33 AM
The Google ads on BritishV8 aren't technically "pop-ups" - because they don't open in a new window - and they therefore shouldn't be affected by pop-up blockers.

If the ads truly are pop-ups - that is, if they're in their own little windows - then they're not coming from my server. (Could they be coming from a website you visited before coming here?)

If BritishV8 and your browser are both working correctly, the Google ads BritishV8 shows should always fit within a rectangular box on your screen that's 800 pixels wide and 120 pixels tall; that's the same size as the banner ads I've sold to familiar vendors (Executive Touch, FastCars, JBL, RATCO, Targett Motorsport.) On my laptop screen, they appear about 1.2" tall by about 8" wide.  If they're appearing at a larger size than that, or if they're overlapping other information on the page, than there's a software glitch that needs to be corrected. It will most likely need to be corrected by me. I haven't seen that sort of bug for myself yet, so any information you an give me to help me replicate it on one of my own computers would be a great help.

What browser are you using?

Are you viewing the message board on a handheld device (e.g. a Blackberry or an I-Pad)? I haven't learned how all those newer devices behave yet, and I'm concerned that l may need to modify the message board code to work better with them.

If you hit the reload/refresh button in your browser toolbar, does the problem seem to go away?
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: rficalora on February 04, 2011, 10:38:35 AM
"...or if they're overlapping other information on the page, than there's a software glitch that needs to be corrected. It will most likely need to be corrected by me... What browser are you using?... If you hit the reload/refresh button in your browser toolbar, does the problem seem to go away?"

Curtis, the overlapping is what I sometimes see -- not too often but does occur.  Seems to happen if I start scrolling down before the page finishes painting -- i think it may be related to initiating the scrolling right at the point the ad starts painting -- like the code loses track of what's where on the page or something like that (it's been a long time since I've written any code so that may be way off, but that's how I'd describe it).  I'll do a screen capture & send it to you the next time it happens to me so you can see it -- but that won't help with the timing/sequence of events.

And, i'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure it happens whether the ad is a google ad or one of the site's vendor ads - that might help narrow down where in the code to look.

I'm using Internet Explorer v7.0

Reloading the page & letting it finish painting does cause the ad to show up in the right place.  

Unrelated, but I just remembered I told you I'd send you some springs/spring pans, etc & forgot over the holidays.  I'll dig them out & mail them this weekend!

"Are you viewing the message board on a handheld device (e.g. a Blackberry or an I-Pad)? I haven't learned how all those newer devices behave yet, and I'm concerned that l may need to modify the message board code to work better with them."

I've viewed the forum on Palm's WebOS based phones & it looks fine.  Haven't seen any problems there.  Everything looks right -- just smaller.
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: DiDueColpi on February 04, 2011, 12:38:45 PM
Hi Curtis,
I have two of the "ads by google" on the BV8 pub list right now.
Refresh doesn't affect them, as well as the pop up blocker.
Having a closer look, they appear aprox. an inch above the box that I believe they should be in. The regular vendor ads that you have are all in the right spots.
If you open any of the ads in google box you can't return back to the forum list without going out and signing back on.
I use explorer 8.0 on this computer and one of my laptops.
The problem doesn't seem to happen on my older stuff with IE 7.0 on them.
I should have checked that sooner.
Hope that helps if it's something from your end.
If it's something I'm doing I'm probably screwed.

Cheers
Fred

If this is really a super computer, then why don't the bullets bounce off when I shoot it?
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: Moderator on February 04, 2011, 02:22:30 PM
Google provides a snippet of code for webmasters to paste into the HTML code for their websites. I suspect there's something in that snippet which Explorer isn't fully compatible with. I'll test that theory now, while I have me dad's PC's handy to work with. (My PC at home is old and currently running a much earlier IE.) If you guys would just switch to Macs and to Firefox...
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: DiDueColpi on February 04, 2011, 02:26:56 PM
What is this Macs and Firefox?
Is it like Mac and Cheese?
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: 74ls1tr6 on February 04, 2011, 05:43:02 PM
Ha Ha! funny.

Fred....Macintosh computer (Mac) and Firefox is a internet explorer.. you can download firefox from here..http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html?event_id=5&art_id=2&announcement_id=30&product=firefox-3.0.1&os=win&lang=en-US


Firefox is pretty fast explorer compaired to Microsoft explorer.

Hope this helps you out!
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: rficalora on February 04, 2011, 08:55:47 PM
you know that's NOT happening here Curtis.
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: MGBV8 on February 05, 2011, 07:09:40 PM
I've been doing Firefox for years. A Mac?  Well, my dad has one. I don't see one in my future, though.
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: rficalora on February 09, 2011, 10:32:12 PM
Noticed something new today Curtis... when the google ads show up on top of areas they're not supposed to be, they move to the right place if I just stay on the page for about 30 secs or so...
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: DiDueColpi on February 11, 2011, 03:38:44 AM
Mine wouldn,t move at all.
And then today some time after lunch everything fixed itself. ( well the computers anyway).
Did Curtis find some of that computer voodoo mojo somewhere?
Whatever it was, Fred's pretty happy.
Thanks
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: Dan B on February 11, 2011, 11:57:59 AM
Bill Gate has got you right where he wants you!
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: DiDueColpi on February 11, 2011, 12:12:44 PM
Um,    this is a little embarassing,      I posted a bit too soon.

They're baaack. Fired up the laptop this morning and the google ads are out of place again.
Three out of five computers have the problem and it dosn't seem to matter which version of explorer that I use.
Waiting on the page makes no difference and everything else is just fine.
I have no clue as to whats causing this.

Cheers
Fred
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: kerbau53 on February 14, 2011, 05:59:56 AM
Fred,

X2
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: Moderator on February 14, 2011, 07:53:52 PM
Can you see any change now?

For the sake of comparison, I've uploaded a new Google Adsense script for the first seven subforums (pub through other-british-cars) and I've left the old script in effect for the other subforums (race-cars through test-messages). Can you see any difference at all?
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: DiDueColpi on February 14, 2011, 08:21:51 PM
I've thrown on my rose coloured glasses and there is a change for the better!
All the Google ads are now piled one on top of the other at the top of the page.
The spots that they should occupy are blank. Everything else on the page is just fine.
This suits me, but Google might not like it.

Thanks for all your efforts Curtis. I know I'd be pulling my hair ( I have hair?) out by now.

Cheers
Fred
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: DiDueColpi on February 14, 2011, 08:29:45 PM
Just another note Curtis,
When I'm on the message list the ads are still offset roughly an inch and a half too high.
It's when I'm on the thread that they are all piled up at the top.
Hope that helps some.
Fred
Title: Re: Google Ads
Post by: Moderator on February 15, 2011, 01:33:50 AM
I think I know where the bug is in Google's code... but I won't be able to look for a work-around for at least a few days. In the meantime I'll turn the Google ads off.