We don't see many Miata engine swaps around here, but Ed Theobald has completed three of them! One MGA, one MGB roadster, and this... The article's publication was delayed a long time waiting for more detailed photos that never arrived, but I've decided to let it rip and perhaps the article will inspire further article submissions.
<a href="http://www.britishv8.org/MG/EdTheobald.htm">Ed Theobold's 1972 MGB-GT with Mazda Miata 1.8L DOHC Engine</a>
(http://www.britishv8.org/MG/EdTheobald/EdTheobald-MGBGT-B.jpg)
Thanks Curtis! I get a surprising number of phone calls at work (Flyin' Miata) from engine swappers who are halfway through a swap and then run up against the 2001-05 immobilizer. Let's just say it's very effective! Of course, they usually call us after the point of no return.
For anyone else considering the swap, a 1999-00 engine makes the same power, has a lower cam cover (it's missing the black actuator on the intake cam) and does not have an immobilizer. Easier yet is a 1994-95 car without OBD-II, so you won't have to ignore a check engine light when the Miata computer figures out you've taken out a number of emissions components :)
WOW, nice job. Curtis, I have a book on how the development of the Miata came about and since Mazda had intended to fill the void left behind by the discontinued MGB (roadster), IMHO, I think that the Miata's engine is such a perfect four banger replacement. Do you know what the car's performances are?
I'll bet it's pretty similar to the Miata the engine came out of. The cars aren't that far off in weight.