BritishV8 Forum

General Category => The BritishV8 Pub => Topic started by: BlownMGB-V8 on December 22, 2010, 12:06:08 AM

Title: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on December 22, 2010, 12:06:08 AM
We've passed the peak! Today was the shortest day of the year, ending winter's long trek to darkness. Now with each day stretching longer than the next we can raise a toast to the coming of Spring, thankful that winter is half gone. I know some of you will claim that winter's only begun but the weather refutes you Sir! So in accordance with the religions of old, let us be happy, while the sun increases it's attentions to us. At this time and with these conditions any cause to celebrate is a just one. Soon we'll be back out on the road with the top down and the wind in our hair, like God intended. Oh, and let's likewise raise one to global warming, shall we?

JB
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: rficalora on December 22, 2010, 06:16:09 AM
What's winter?
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: Bill Young on December 22, 2010, 08:18:29 AM
Rob, if the humidity is below 80% and there are no hurricanes about in the gulf it's probably winter in Houston!
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: danmas on December 22, 2010, 10:54:33 AM
Not so good news here. I Woke up this morning to find I had no heat on the main floor. Brrrr!

They repair guy is working on it now.  Just hope we don't have to wait for replacement parts.

Good news, veryone!

He just told me it was a bad capacitor, and a replacement is avaiable. It'll be working again soon. I'm too old to tolerate being cold anymore.
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: MGB SS on December 22, 2010, 03:47:46 PM
Rob
spent the first 2 hours moving snow this morning.  

Jim
Glad the days are getting longer but I can assure you Winter has just gotten started

Dan
Glad it was something simple.
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: MGBV8 on December 22, 2010, 10:35:09 PM
I celebrated two things today; my dad's 76th birthday AND the days are, once again getting longer! Longer days are definitely much, much better than shorter days.
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: rficalora on December 22, 2010, 11:37:42 PM
Joe - I remember those days -- used to live in Ann Arbor (also @ Leavenworth, Bill).  Houston's hot & humid in the summers but we spend most of our free time in the water so we don't notice it much.  Fall, Winter & Spring are pretty awesome weather compared to lots of other places.  We were in shorts & t-shirts today.  Saw several tops down convertibles on the road while running the kids around shopping.
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: RMO 699F on December 23, 2010, 02:02:04 PM
Jim, I want to share your optimism, I really do. But the temperature facts say otherwise. The average high over the last 30 years or so in SW Ohio (a stones throw from you) in December is 39 degress. The average high in January is 35 and it goes up from there to 39 average high in February etc. etc. But you know, I really like the idea of having more daylight starting today, so I'm changing my position to GOODBYE winter and let's just say spring is just around the corner!!!!  :-) :-)
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: Bill Young on December 23, 2010, 04:13:24 PM
Just think positive guys while you shovel the snow, spring, spring, spring, Townsend!
Rob, I know about Houston in the summers, used to live in Dallas and did some temp work for our Houston office. I'm also familar with our northern regions having spent 5 years in Milwaukee. KC's not too bad by comparison!
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: palmjeld on December 31, 2010, 05:56:25 PM
3 below zero, 8 inches of snow and 25 mph wind from the NW    Not a bad day in sunny South Dakota.  As long as the John Deere with its snow blower is working and I can get out the driveway we are cool! (Pun intended)

Paul
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: MGBV8 on December 31, 2010, 07:28:28 PM
High 50s here today. All the snow is gone.

Happy New Year!!
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: rficalora on January 03, 2011, 03:10:01 PM
Welcome back everyone!  No snow here --- mid 60's past few days.  Did go to Montana over the Christmas break -- plan was skiing (snowboarding actually).  Did some of that but less than planned 'caus older son (14) broke his collar bone on day 2 -- caught a toe side edge coming down from a jump.  Since we did less skiing than planned, we made a side trip to Yellowstone to see Old Faithful -- it was 10 below when we were walking around & 20 below over night -- so cold it felt like my face was burning when the wind blew -- reminded me why I live in Texas!!  We all had a great time though in spite of the collar bone but still glad to be back in sane weather!
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: MGBV8 on February 17, 2011, 09:36:43 PM
The gorundhog may have been right!

70 degrees here in East TN. Left work at 2:30 PM.  Went home & played in the yard. Fired up & rode not one, but two motorcycles (hmm, reminds me of an Arlo Guthrie song).  One 200cc Honda dirt bike & my Harley.  Went down the street on the Harley without a helmet & just kept going. Went about 3 miles & decided to turn back since TN isn't one of those non helmet states.

Springtime almost here!
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on February 18, 2011, 08:25:49 AM
Spring has sprung, the grass is riz, I wonder where the flowers is? (Henry Gibson)

First day of Spring is in 3 days! Whoopee!! I've been driving Edith's TR7 all week, about half with the top down, including this morning. Now for all y'all who think it's still winter, check out the Eastern Asian and Celtic calendars. Those of us who think it's spring were right all along!

JB
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: DiDueColpi on February 18, 2011, 02:56:26 PM
I'm trying to think positively.
I've been wearing my tinfoil hat and everything.
But it snowed here yesterday.
Maybe if I close the garage door and swap out the lights for heat lamps............

Cheers
Fred
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: rficalora on February 19, 2011, 11:02:53 PM
Quote:  But it snowed here yesterday.  Maybe if I close the garage door and swap out the lights for heat lamps............

I keep telling you guys Texas is where you want to be -- it's been in the 70's in the afternoons the past several days -- we even went out on a short boat ride today.
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on February 20, 2011, 12:36:37 PM
Except it's too hot in the summer. Hey, I know Rob, how about if we come down and stay with you in the winter and then we can all migrate up here in the summer? Best of both worlds!

JB
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: rficalora on February 20, 2011, 06:00:13 PM
Always welcome Jim -- the more the merrier.  We spend the few hot summer months in the lake so it's not so bad.
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: DiDueColpi on February 21, 2011, 11:52:47 AM
I must be doing something wrong.
My summer home is beside a glacier.

Cheers
Fred
Title: Re: Good News Everyone!!!
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on February 21, 2011, 12:27:28 PM
And that's a bad thing how?

JB