BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: rickbseattle on October 02, 2010, 02:44:39 AM

Title: New guy question about MGA front springs
Post by: rickbseattle on October 02, 2010, 02:44:39 AM
Hi,

First off, congrats and thanks to everybody for the amazing pictures, tech tips, and downright inspriational projects.  I'm just starting to chew on my V8 MGA project, which I took off somebody else's hands last fall.  I just added it to the Project Journals section for anybody who is interested.

I'm trying to take on something managable - front suspension rebuild.  I'm converting to MGB upper arms, spindles, and shocks to get disk brakes and more room in the engine bay.  My question is what springs I should use during reassembly?  From my research and calcs, it looks like I'm gaining about 300+ lbs going from the stock motor + trans to the SB Chev + Muncie 4-speed.  I'm OK with a little bit lower stance, but don't want to ride on the stops or have to rigid of spring rate.

Can anyone advise what springs they use in their MGA with some extra "junk in the trunk'?

-Rick
Title: Re: New guy question about MGA front springs
Post by: ex-tyke on October 02, 2010, 10:16:59 AM
Rick, there is some information regarding MGB front spring specs on Paul Hunts Bee & Vee website.

 http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/

Click on "Spanners" and then on "Ride Height" to get the following:

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/ride.htm#rideheight

Scroll down to a chart that identifies useage, spring rates, etc
I'd say that late model RB springs should work for you, given that late model "B's" were several hundred lbs heavier than earlier CB cars.
Title: Re: New guy question about MGA front springs
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on October 02, 2010, 10:45:20 AM
Rick, if you aren't in too big of a hurry, wait awhile and see how things come out with the air springs I ordered for my MGB. Competitive cost and variable height adjustment. Supposed to be coming in in about 3 weeks.

JB