BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: pspeaks on September 04, 2010, 01:16:36 PM

Title: Radiator Obsession
Post by: pspeaks on September 04, 2010, 01:16:36 PM
I know you guys think I'm obsessed with radiators but I think I have another valid question, well, valid for me anyway.  I.ve always built cars with the fan on the back of the radiator, but noted that a lot of you mount the fan on the front and move the radiator back a few inches. This should allow the radiator to be mounted a little higher there for providing more ground clearance.  Will the fan in the front method cool as well; Pro's/Con's?
Title: Re: Radiator Obsession
Post by: danmas on September 04, 2010, 01:36:53 PM
The consensus among the experts is that a front mounted fan is about 10 - 20% less effective than a rear mounted fan. If 80% effective meets 100% of requirements, then no problem. If the cooling is marginal, then a rear mounted fan may be required.
Title: Re: Radiator Obsession
Post by: ex-tyke on September 04, 2010, 01:48:08 PM
Ditto - if you're going to move the rad, then move it forward and instal a puller (either electric or a WP mounted mechanical fan). Remember, it's more important to get good airflow than getting a bigger rad to fix cooling system shortcomings.
Title: Re: Radiator Obsession
Post by: pspeaks on September 04, 2010, 05:47:18 PM
Thanks Dan and Graham, as I live in Texas a puller might be the best choice and with the AC on I might be pushing  it.  I think I'll follow your advise and leave it where it is.


"P"