BritishV8 Forum

General Category => The BritishV8 Pub => Topic started by: RMO 699F on July 11, 2010, 10:11:03 PM

Title: Website Contributions
Post by: RMO 699F on July 11, 2010, 10:11:03 PM
At the conclusion of the V8 meeting at Indy, Paul Schils made an eloquent statement about the tremendous job that Curtis has been doing on this website. We all enjoy the benefits of this website and applaud Curtis's efforts. This is not an easy job and requires a tremendous amount of time.   As I went to the website to make my annual (overdue) monetary contribution I noticed that the 2010 contributions are way, way down from 2009. I know times are tough for many at this time, but I think it would be prudent for all that can contribute, jump in and make your annual contibutions in the next few days. I would hate to see this great website be diminished or at worst become inactive due to a lack of financial support that is necessary.
Cheers
Mike
Title: Re: Website Contributions
Post by: RMO 699F on July 19, 2010, 10:28:41 AM
Since I posted this a little over a week ago 61 people have viewed it, but I do not see any new contributions added. Come on guys, jump in and help out...
Mike
Title: Re: Website Contributions
Post by: rficalora on July 19, 2010, 03:03:28 PM
Count me in Mike.  I've been delinquent but agree this site is worth more than my magazine subsriptions combined.  I just submitted mine.
Title: Re: Website Contributions
Post by: MGB-FV8 on July 19, 2010, 05:59:40 PM
Hi Mike, I'm in agreement with what you said; I've contributed in the first quarter of 2010.  Is this a quarterly contribution or annual?

Jacques
Title: Re: Website Contributions
Post by: ex-tyke on July 19, 2010, 06:26:27 PM
Mike,
     We all applaud the fine web service that Curtis provides. Some of us have our $contribution$ date to the British V8 website at some other time during the year - mine happens to be January.
Title: Re: Website Contributions
Post by: RMO 699F on July 19, 2010, 11:47:54 PM
Thanks for the positive coments guys, and let's keep it going. Jacques, I think everyone contributes annually, but that would not prohibit anyone from contributing more than once per year if they choose.
Title: Re: Website Contributions
Post by: Moderator on July 20, 2010, 08:25:20 PM
Firstly, THANK YOU for all the kind words and for supporting this website.  You guys are the greatest!

I owe some apologies: I've been especially slow lately with e-mail, including thank you notes... This month I'm migrating from an old and failing PC (tower) to a new-to-me Mac (laptop). Towards the end of last month a nasty little computer virus sneaked onto the PC - past Norton anti-virus software - so if you haven't gotten an e-mail from my machine lately that's probably a good thing. I've resorted to disconnecting the PC from the internet indefinitely. (All website data is backed-up multiple places. None of that was lost.) Anyhow, the transition has disturbed my usual routines.

A number of people made cash contributions during the meet. I genuinely appreciate it, but my memory is failing. If I forgot to add your name to the "Contributors" page of the website, please send me a PM and I'll get that fixed.

This month has been especially full of expenses - some unexpected and some planned. During the meet I dropped my trusty digital camera on its lens and destroyed its motorized focus & zoom mechanisms. I'll have to replace it. Sunday before leaving for Indy, I bought a used MacBook Pro 15" laptop. It'll make it feasible for me to check e-mail and/or to moderate the message board while traveling. I got a great deal on the computer, but now I'm shopping for software, a bigger internal hard drive, a wireless mouse, etc. Besides travel expenses, that's where money from contributions is being spent lately.

Thanks again for all your support.
Title: Re: Website Contributions
Post by: Bill Young on July 20, 2010, 10:20:21 PM
Mike, a good reminder for sure. I spoke to Curtis about my support after the Karting and we were going to sort something out but didn't get to it at that time. I'll take care of it in August for sure with some donation.
Title: Re: Website Contributions
Post by: Spitfire 350 on July 21, 2010, 11:23:07 AM
Wow, that took like a minute and a half. I wish I hadn't procrastinated so long.
Title: Re: Website Contributions
Post by: Moderator on August 05, 2010, 05:32:43 PM
Thanks again, guys!

Just a little update... I thought some of you might be interested to know that I've invested in a newer camera. It's a Canon "G11" (bought used on eBay). It's arrived, and I'm learning how to use it. Very exciting! I'm looking forward to better photos, plus this camera is MUCH better suited to photographing things that move.
Title: Re: Website Contributions
Post by: mowog1 on August 05, 2010, 10:41:12 PM
BritishV8 2010 has sent Curtis a check from the event's net proceeds now that the books have been closed.

A check will also be going into the mail to Dan Masters as seed money for BritishV8 2011.
Title: Re: Website Contributions
Post by: danmas on August 06, 2010, 05:59:01 PM
There are many MG, Triumph, and other British car related websites and forums on the internet, but this one is different than all the rest.

Most of them are like hanging out in the coffee shop with your friends talking about these cars; this one is like hanging out in the garage with your buddies actually working. No other web site has as many "how-it-was-done" photographs and articles as this one. Over 7,500 photographs! Where else can you get that much real, valued, expert help?

Worth supporting?  I think so.