BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: rficalora on July 08, 2010, 11:30:10 PM

Title: Wiring solenoids for shaved doors
Post by: rficalora on July 08, 2010, 11:30:10 PM
Now that Fred schooled me on using relays, I've started thinking more about my doors.  The exterior door handles are shaved so right now they can only be opened with the interior pulls.  I don't plan to change that till I finish the other odds & ends (like the brakes!) but since I have plenty of time & can't do any other work right now, I thought I'd play with the circuit design.  To start with, here's what I'm after...

Circuit should be operational only when I'm in proximity of the car (I have a RF tag type keyless ignition)
From outside, I'll need hidden switches to open the driver's, passenger's, or both doors from the driver's side & passenger's from that side
From the inside, I'll need buttons to open the doors
The buttons/switches will need to be inoperative when the engine is running unless some extra action is taken to enable them
I'll need a button accessible from outside the car in the event the RF system fails

Any "features" I'm missing?
Title: Re: Wiring solenoids for shaved doors
Post by: rficalora on July 10, 2010, 06:09:31 PM
Talked with the company that made the keyless ignition -- good news/bad news.  I can sense when the ignition is off (engine not running) -- in hindsight that one was pretty obvious.  The bad news was I can't use the keyless ignition box to activate the switches automatically when I come into proximity.  When the RF tag is in proximity, the ignition unit does pre-valid it, but it doesn't turn the ignition or either of the accessory circuits on.  

But, I did come across an alarm that uses a bluetooth connection to a cell phone to activate/deactivate + automatically lock & unlock the doors as the bluetooth pairing is made or broken.  I think I could use the alarm and a latching relay off the lock/unlock to enable the switches.

This will have to wait though because I'm not ready to buy the alarm.  For now, I figured out a way to locate some switches behind the body skin that I can activate from outside.  For now, the inside will still be mechanical.
Title: Re: Wiring solenoids for shaved doors
Post by: pawp on July 12, 2010, 05:42:18 PM
Go to Watson's Streetworks. They have several versions of what you need. I have used their switches and lights on my and they are first class. Luck
Title: Re: Wiring solenoids for shaved doors
Post by: rficalora on July 12, 2010, 07:00:17 PM
Did you use any of their magnetic switches?  If so, are they any different than the ones used on a house alarm system for the widnows?
Title: Re: Wiring solenoids for shaved doors
Post by: DiDueColpi on July 12, 2010, 08:55:43 PM
Now they've done it. They said it can't be done. That just gets my electrons all fired up.
Do you have a wiring diagram and/or in and outputs for your keyless ign?
No promises but with a little wire, some time, thinkin, and a good bottle of scotch.........
Cheers
Fred
Title: Re: Wiring solenoids for shaved doors
Post by: rficalora on July 12, 2010, 11:16:51 PM
They don't publish a schematic of the keyless control box but the In's/Outs are here http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/PDFS/INstallation%20Diagrams%20Types.pdf and here http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/PDFS/Module-Pin-Out.pdf.  I have it wired as "type 3" which has 2 accessory circuits.  One that stays on while starting & one that shuts off while starting.  Per their tech suppor, neither is powered until the button is pressed with the RF tag in range.  
It is not really a keyless ignition -- really a RF tag key.  Ignition is an MSD 6AL.
Title: Re: Wiring solenoids for shaved doors
Post by: DiDueColpi on July 19, 2010, 03:43:54 AM
Hey Rob, sorry for the wait. Got pretty busy around here of late.
What does your unit do if you permanently depress the start button? Does anything switch as you go in and out of transponder range?
Title: Re: Wiring solenoids for shaved doors
Post by: DiDueColpi on October 26, 2010, 10:22:34 PM
Hi Rob,
finally figured out how to make your unit work but it's very messy and reliability challenged.
Better, is a new unit that I've used on my TGB. It's a "Scytek precision blue 1000". It recognizes my Blackberry (Bluetooth) phone and unlocks the truck whenever I'm within 10 feet of it. I have it connected to a PLC that enables a push button ign. and start, and or, a remote start or shutdown.
Basically I walk up to the truck and it unlocks and turns off the alarm.
Then in 7 seconds it will auto start unless I defeat the function.
 I get in and then proceed to the nearest Scotchy scotch outlet and leave the truck.
 Once I'm ten feet away the truck shuts off, locks and the alarm sets.
In manual mode It enables power to the truck, then when I push the now green start button the ign turns on, the second push turns the button yellow and starts the truck. once the alternator is on charge the button turns blue and I'm away.The third push of the button shuts everything off and as I leave it locks and alarms.  
Pretty cool I thought. All leading edge and such.
Then I came across "ZWave" technology.
 It's intended for home use but if you check it out it's uses for us are astounding.
Control every aspect of you vehicle from your I phone.
And have your house light up and unlock as you pull into your already open garage.
I talked to the Lovely Lynne about getting her "chipped" and once again I'm pretty intimate with the sofa.
Cheers
Fred
Title: Re: Wiring solenoids for shaved doors
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on October 27, 2010, 09:05:58 PM
Fred, I'm guessing she's caught you pushing the "mute" button on the remote for the TV in the hopes it could control other devices?

JB
Title: Re: Wiring solenoids for shaved doors
Post by: DiDueColpi on October 27, 2010, 09:13:07 PM
Yep, got it confused with the 25 year old blonde button.
Fred
Title: Re: Wiring solenoids for shaved doors
Post by: smallbutfast on November 25, 2010, 08:12:42 AM
rficalora
Did you talk to Bruce at Digital Gaurd Dawg?  He sold me an auxiliary unit that works with the RF unit that will control your door lock solenoids and use your stock horn as an alarm.  I bought the system several weeks ago but haven't installed the auxiliary unit yet.  Still working on other details.
Samy
Title: Re: Wiring solenoids for shaved doors
Post by: rficalora on November 25, 2010, 06:58:46 PM
good info Sammy - thanks.  The aux unit wasn't available yet when I talked with them this summer.  I did find they have a relay that won't energize unless the RF tag is in proximity.  That would work to do what I wanted (and in cleavor theft deterant ways too) but the relay + programming it to use the rf tags I already have was going to be about $100 so.I passed for now.  I'm hoping the prices will come down as more companies offer similar products.