BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: pez1 on June 15, 2010, 12:19:40 PM

Title: bilstein replacements
Post by: pez1 on June 15, 2010, 12:19:40 PM
I have 79 MGB 3.5, in 88 I installed ron hopkinson complete kit, well the left lower Bilstein shock rod has broken at bracket to A arm. My problem is finding replacement shocks in North Am. The #s on the tube (46444 2675 1340) don't match anything Bilstein has. But they are still looking. The car is parked and loosing valuable drive time.......please any help ???
Title: Re: bilstein replacements
Post by: 302GT on June 15, 2010, 12:24:15 PM
Check out a site such as QA-1. They list universal shocks by size, maybe something they have will fit (of course then you will need a pair). Consider shocks with adjustment on rebound only.
Title: Re: bilstein replacements
Post by: HealeyRick on June 15, 2010, 04:59:22 PM
Did you ask Bilstein if they could rebuild the ones you have?  I know they offer that service.
Title: Re: bilstein replacements
Post by: pez1 on June 15, 2010, 07:07:11 PM
If I could get them to call me back I would ask about rebuild, I've waited three days. but I will keep trying......Watch out for Bilstein service but will post when I hear back, I have called twice !
Title: Re: bilstein replacements
Post by: castlesid on June 15, 2010, 08:06:09 PM
Kevin,

Did you try Moss, they still market the Bilstein kit for the front,

Part no. in the UK TMK30701

Good luck.

Kevin.
Title: Re: bilstein replacements
Post by: HealeyRick on June 15, 2010, 08:09:54 PM
You could just box them up and ship them with a R/O as per here:  http://www.bilsteinus.com/services.php
Title: Re: bilstein replacements
Post by: pez1 on June 15, 2010, 09:18:01 PM
Just  came in from the shop ,shock is out (not easy) turns out the rod end is threaded into the mounting bracket , the threaded rod has been pulled out of the bracket stripping the bracket threads ....very strange But I'm going to the Mig welder tomorrow and tack it .....Nothing to lose ...the shock its self seems fine ! keep ya posted, hey thanks for all the help ! Hope I can help someone else. I was at Clevland a few years ago but will miss Indy , to bad, but there in spirit ! Party on
Title: Re: bilstein replacements
Post by: V8-User on April 10, 2017, 12:11:51 AM
I bought the shocks at http://4wheelonline.com/BilsteinShocks.4997
haven't got any problem with it yet
Title: Re: bilstein replacements
Post by: ruben on April 29, 2017, 05:04:48 AM
Bilstein changed their numbering system so crossing those numbers over can be difficult. I recently bought rear Bilsteins for my 122 Volvo but because it is a wagon it took serious serching to find the correct part number. But then when I knew what to order they were at my door in 5 days