I'd like to bend my brake and clutch pedals shafts so the pedals sit a little further to the left and make room for a gas pedal. I noticed that Alan did this. Any advice before I get out the Mapp gas and screw everything up?
Hi George,
I did the same with my clutch & brake pedals. Just make your bend below where your shaft and switch might go. "Yes" just heated up with torch and bend to your liking.
I even moved my brake booster over 3/4".
DSCN0652.JPG
As you can see from the photo Calvin posted you effectively shorten the pedal when you bend it over. You may need to weld in some new material to get back to the original pedal ratio if the effort is too high.
Thanks! I hadn't thought of shorter pedal arms. Should I worry about the extra effort?
The other option is simply moving the whole pedal assembly to the left by an inch.
I ordered a Master Power brake master (1'' bore) and booster (single diaphragm) plus a Wilwood clutch m/c (7/8'' bore). I'll only be using Richard Good front brakes and the rear will be stock.
If the bend isn't any more than what Calvin did I wouldn't worry about the pedal effort too much. You'll just have to see what it feels like once you have the car on the road. Dropping that one pedal and lengthing it isn't that much of a job anyway.
Anyway, bending the pedals is a lot easier than reloacating the entire pedal box assembly if you just need an inch or so.
Torch is optional... I didn't use one.
Thanks guys.
pedals.jpg