BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: MGV on May 01, 2010, 01:04:42 AM

Title: HTOB/trany & Starting problems
Post by: MGV on May 01, 2010, 01:04:42 AM
I just finish the instalation of a 3.4L (Carburetor and distributor) with a t-5 transmission. Everything was going perfect until a tray to shift, nothing. I can see the HTOB from under tha car, appear to be installed properly, there is very little space between the HTOB and the presure plate fingers. Probably about 1mm or less. The HTOB appear to open completely and push the fingers of the presure plate, but the clutch plate do not release to be able to shift. Any ideas?   The second problem is, few days ago I went to start the car, it crank but did not start, like not having electricity. I tray to start the car the next day and it work. Today I went to start the car and the samething happened, it cranks but do not start, like having no electricity. I check and I have 12 volts at the coil. Thanks.
Title: Re: HTOB/trany & Starting problems
Post by: Moderator on May 03, 2010, 01:15:56 AM
Welcome to the BritishV8 forum!  

General tip for future reference: dividing questions over different new threads might bring more and better responses.

I'm a little unclear about your description of the clutch problem. Are you saying that the HTOB simply doesn't seem to travel far enough to do its job? That's not the most common problem. In fact, it's more usual that we need to install a pedal-stop to avoid hyper-extending (and thus damaging) the HTOB. Perhaps you might try bleeding the fluid (again?) to be absolutely sure there are no air bubbles in the system.

There are of course MANY possible causes for an intermittent ignition failure. Very frustrating! Assuming you're using new parts, one of the first things I'd check is the high tension lead from the coil to the distributor. You wouldn't be the first person to get a defective cable. Perhaps you can try swapping the cable with an old one or one from another car?
Title: Re: HTOB/trany & Starting problems
Post by: pcmenten on May 03, 2010, 06:50:54 PM
The ignition failure might be a grounding problem. Make sure there are grounds between the engine and the battery, the engine and the chassis, and the engine and the firewall/wiring harness.