BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: pspeaks on February 07, 2010, 09:17:17 AM

Title: T-5 Question
Post by: pspeaks on February 07, 2010, 09:17:17 AM
My first T-5 and I'm wondering, or assuming, the switch on the side and the one with the pigtail are for neutral safety and back up lights, but which is which?
Title: Re: T-5 Question
Post by: ex-tyke on February 07, 2010, 10:30:45 AM
Here's a photo of the backup light switch.......
100_36411152x864.jpg
Title: Re: T-5 Question
Post by: MGBV8 on February 07, 2010, 10:55:41 AM
Neutral safety? That is usually for automatic trannies.

Then again, I didn't wire up the backup lights.
Title: Re: T-5 Question
Post by: kstevusa on February 07, 2010, 05:36:21 PM
Correct,  the switch on the left side of the tranny is the back-up light. (Ford Mustang t-5) The neutral switch is on the top left front of the tranny near the bellhousing.  it was only for the ECM to know when the transmission was in gear. It also is necessary to to activate the KOER function enabling the ecm to provide info on the engine systems.You can do the KOEO function w/o the neutral switch.   I do not have the neutral switch so I cannot enable the KOER function on my car.
Title: Re: T-5 Question
Post by: danmas on February 07, 2010, 06:08:14 PM
QuoteNeutral safety? That is usually for automatic trannies.

I wired it up on my car with the T-5.

Just seemed like a cool idea.

I don't have any backup lights either.
Title: Re: T-5 Question
Post by: pspeaks on February 08, 2010, 12:08:41 AM
Thanks Guys, I'm rather "Old School" and probably won't use the switchs either, but felt a little foolish when asked and I didn't know the answer.
Title: Re: T-5 Question
Post by: BMC on February 08, 2010, 01:28:22 PM
Because I always place my cars in neutral in preparation to starting, I do not need a neutral safety switch.

I had an early 1980's pickup stall that had a manual and with the neutral safety switch removed. That was nice if I needed to move it out of the way if it wouldn't start. If you were to wire that into the system, I would recommend wiring a second switch under the dash so you could override it.

-BMC.
Title: Re: T-5 Question
Post by: pspeaks on February 10, 2010, 02:06:17 AM
It's been my nature, while wiring all the T-Buckets and street rods I've done, to include wires, that aren't going to be need initially, for a just in case future.  I can't tell you how many coupes and sudans have had air conditioning added after just one Texas summer.  Even if I don't hook them up in the beginning I'll wire the system and hide the ends in the bundle.  Over the past few years we have been toying with the bosses 1940 Mack fire truck and to keep it looking old we cover the bundle with spiral wrap then cover that with shrink wrap tubing.  It protects the wires without looking too modern.



"P"
Title: Re: T-5 Question
Post by: pspeaks on February 10, 2010, 02:36:14 AM
Dan,

My "B-GT" sat for many years with a half installed 240ZX Motor Mod started by my ex-son-in-law-to-be, then I came accross your incredable GT while surfing the NET and I couldn't let mine just set with a motor that my son-in-law picked.  Next thing you know I had a freshly vated and machined 302 on an engine stand, my T-Bucket resting in the back of the garage, and a new project taking up my time.  Thank you so much for the inspiration.

Graham,

As I'm in the process of fitting a bracket to mount my clutch slave cylinder, I'm on the lookout for different designs.  Bob Elwin has a pretty good one, but he pointed out he used the deeper bellhousing and a retracting cylinder like his would likely not fit.  I really like the bracket you use and was wondering if you have any pictures, drawings, or demintions on it handy?  Thanks for any info you can provide,


"P"