I have the CAD files that I used in making the TR6 rear disc brake brackets.
I have various file formats so if you can locate a CNC Shop, I think they will be able to turn you out a set of brackets. (ASC, DES, Dra,DWG,DXF, WRL,STL, IGS, STP,VDA, even a jpeg for reference)
This jpeg attached is without information just to give you the idea of quality.
These are free for the asking and an email account that can take some large files.
Disclaimer
These references, resources, the materials and products on this site are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind, whether express or implied. To the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law, this automotive brake modification is undertaken at your own risk and disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. The provider does not represent or warrant that the functions contained in these resources will be uninterrupted or error-free, that the defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes the site available are free of viruses or other harmful components. The provider does not make any warrantees or representations regarding the use of the materials in this site in terms of their correctness, accuracy, adequacy, usefulness, timeliness, reliability or otherwise.
By purchasing this custom rear brake conversion or undertaking your own modifications based on these materials as reference, the provider shall not be liable for any special or consequential damages that result from the use of, or the inability to use, the materials on this site or the performance of the products.
caliperbracket2.jpg
Hi Don,
Send them to my email or do I have them on the cd you sent?
Thanks,
Calvin
Insted of making a brake adapter for the
z set up 8us the intire raer end , breake system for a supra it almost fits with out mod look at t
mark
Mark,
Thanks for the lead on the Supra.
One reason for the brackets, as opposed to a full rear system swap, was to reduce the level of fabrication needed to make the conversion from drums.
I agree that a complete system would be best. Most of those looking at this option will modify the frame to accept a Ford 9" and convert to rear disc brakes.
I few concerns, but ones that could be overcome: (photos from my friend, Jeff T.)
1) the TR6 frame does not lend it's self of a complete sub assembly, like the Supra, Jag, Ford Explorer, etc.
reardiff_9.jpg
2) The Supra runs a 2 piece drive shaft and the flange attachment is not a U-Joint , but a flex plate. Not that this is bad but a drive shaft system would need to built or the flange plate on the differential would need to be fabricated to mate the TR6 drive shaft.
reardiff_5.jpg
3) The front and rear mounts look like a mounting plate could be fabricated just like the Richard Good Parts kit for the Nissan differential kit , but the upper and lower control arms would need to be modified or replaced with a narrower stance to fit the TR6 width.
reardiff_16.jpg
reardiff_2.jpg
Please share with the group more info on the Supra rear system as we are always looking for options on modification for our rides.
4) Price? Each region has different rate and resources, but in my region of the States the complete Supra rear system is rare and running about $1800, if they are found. $800-900 for just the differential.(USED, not rebuilt) I must keep in mind that IRS system are not cheap, but trying to keep to a budget does impact our directions.
Any resources you can share?
Hi, could you send me the file in a jpeg format. Thanks, Kevin (kcmcphee@eastlink.ca
More are being made!
I'm posting this with his permission.
A gent in Canada is getting ready to make a run of about ten sets!
A fellow TR6 has requested he turn out a set of brackets.
Francois has offered to make about 10 sets.
So, If you are interested, here is his contact information:
François Faucher
fr.faucher@videotron.ca
[hotantiqueauto.googlepages.com]
Check out his TR6 mods. I love the shroud cover.......that's HOT!
A Custom Auto Shop in Texas has made another run on the rear disc brake brackets.
The picts also show Richard Goods CV Joints installed with the brackets and coil overs.
Please contact them directly if you are interested.
Ron Harrison
ron@rvar.net
713-857-7733
DSC018082.JPG
DSC017562.JPG
DSC017582.JPG
DSC017602.JPG
DSC018052.JPG
DSC018072.JPG
What great pictures! (I especially like your wheels and tires;)
You're going to write an article about this whole set-up, aren't you?
In some of the photos show a stock frame being used and other photos show a Ratco frame being used. The sway bar I believe is from Revington TR UK.
Maybe between Don and I, we can write the article that should be done with this setup. I did take notes on how mine were done. I think Don should take all the credit for the article as for he drew up the cad files for the brake brackets.
I'm getting a quote on 10 sets of these brackets to be made shortly (with Don's files). When I get the quote back I will post here in this section of the price. The price will be what I paid for them + shipping to .... Just helping out the Triumph owners.
With regards to the Supra rear end. I am running one in my project along with custom CV axles. It is narrower than the TR pumpkin or Nissan, but it will require axles that are unequal in length. Also, my diff has a 4 bolt flange that bolts up to the drive shaft. It is out of a 91 Turbo supra LSD. The mounts were custom fabricated by me and not too difficult. I would have gone the Nissan route but I already had this differential sitting around.
(http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/crj7driver/DSCN2555.jpg)
I have a few more pictures I just need to find them
Sure CJ,
I know that Calvin and I can share a lot of lessons learned and by others that have taken on this type of modification.
So Calvin, look for the first draft coming you way. Just what you need while your building your TR6-LT1, fixing up the Spit with your son, producing brake brackets, (see below comment) and keeping me out of trouble!
Ryan,
Nice work on the differential swap! Looks robust! Please send us more pics and specs on the mounts and "How 2s" What did you design for the front mounts?
I know that others are looking for replacement/ performance options!
Plus our friend and fellow British/American motor-head is working on another production run of the TR6 Rear Disc Brake Brackets! Not for money, but for the SPORT! Not as a business, but as a help to others! (he already has a set on his TR6) The cost to CNC one set is too much for most people, but with quantity, the cost drops to with in reason.
If you would like to motor down this modification road, please contact Calvin directly.
Sent a private message thru BV8 right here or his email waterhook@surewest.net
Here is a shot of what got the thinking process going. I friend had a Nissan 240Z that he converted to rear disc with a kit. The swing arm desing is not that different. OK, different enough that it did not fit, but started the brain cells talking to each other.
3.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
More to come from "CalvinDon Publications"
OK...The run of TR6 brake brackets has started. They should be done in a couple of weeks. I don't think the rules here let me post the price or sell something here in this section.
E-mail if you have interest or PM me. My E-mail has been posted above.
I have 10 sets being made at this time, and can do another run later if more people want them.
Calvin
Note* If you order Richard Good's CV axles and use these Brake Brackets, "TELL" Richard about the 1/2" brake bracket going between the trailing arm and the hub. He will compensate the difference there for the axles. I thought of this after I ordered them and called him, I believe Albert Waynburg (SP) did the same after talking with him a few days ago.
March3109005.jpg
I have put in an order for a run of 10 more sets of disk brake brackets yesterday!
This coming Monday, the machine shop will let me know of a completion date.
There have been 4 inquiries for these disk brake brackets to be made, so there will be 6 to 7 set's available at this time of post left of the run. 8/7/2009 (today)
Same price of:... Look here for price at the bottom of page...http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?11,1091 shipped in the US and more postage out of US.
For inquiries for the brackets, email waterhook@surewest.net
Calvin
April4th015.jpg
Update!
The machine shop let me know the brackets are being plasma burned now!
There are 7 sets out of the 10 spoken for already, and 1 inquiry as of today!
Also had an inquiry to have these brackets made in aluminum 1/2" thick (for unsprung weight). I'm getting a quote for 1/4" thick steel brackets too. The only difference using 1/4" steel brackets, would be 1/4' shorter trailing arm studs, and 1/4" shorter caliper mounting bolts. A caliper bracket made in 1/4" steel is plenty strong; they use 1/4" for off road racing.
Calvin
Update!
I will picking up the run of disk brake brackets today!
Will be painting them within the next couple of days + drying time.
There is some left up for grabs from this run still.
Got some pricing on 1/4" steel brackets and 1/2" aluminum brackets. Finding out if the machine shop is setup for the run, it's easier to get the 1/4" steel and 1/2" aluminum ones made and not have a full 20 pieces made.
Will post pricing in classified section.
Calvin
Hi! All,
I have all the files for the rear brake bracket for every format except PDF.
Does anyone have a pdf format?
Thanks
Greg
Good afternoon, could you send the bracket file to me? Thank you, this will save me so much time. I have to modify to fit miata calipers for my stag. Thanks,charlie
I just sent to your email the CNC CAD files, post updates on your progress to BV8!
We love pictures!
One more rear brake conversion,very nice TR5 overseas,
forsythtr5.jpeg
A very nice conversion with a different take on the e-brake setup, take a look.
Good work Kelly!
Regarding E-brake, I used new stock TR6 cables from Moss; I machined a trunnion to thread onto the end of each cable and fit in the caliper 'saddle' to pull the e-brake mechanism. I used a 3/8" AN bolt - the unthreaded shank area. I think it is 4130 steel. Very strong. Drilled it with cobalt drill and tapped 1/4-28. I fabricated the brackets that attach the cable to the caliper from 1/4" x 1" cold rolled steel. Works perfectly. No modification to the cable necessary. Brake handle pulls up 4 - 6 notches for solid grab. Easy to adjust at caliper end as pads wear.
Also, I machined the caliper mounting brackets from 7071-T6 aluminum 3/8" thick. The alloy is much stronger per square inch than mild steel of the same thickness. Of course I upgraded the swing arm studs to 3/8".
Here are some pix of the e-brake set up and my engine / cockpit. And yes, I know, I need to get the airbox I fabricated polished!
Thank you once again.
Cheers, Kelly
rearbracket.jpg
ebrakeattachment2.jpg
ebakeattachment1.jpg
enginebay.jpg
Hello would it be possible to send me a jpeg of the file please. Thanks.
ALV, please send me an email address and I'll send you all the files. Too many to attach here.
Great many thanks Don.
Hello TR fans, I have read your article, regarding the rear disc brake conversion, and would like to try this on my TVR 2500M. If there is an outlet for these brackets, could you please steer me in that direction. If that information is not available, please reply how I may receive the Cad file, or detailed sketch, so that they may be re- produced. Thank You, Tim
send me your email address and I will send them to you ....personal message me.
Hello all a bit of an update here. Got brackets machined and all not an issue but i did have an issue trying to source calipers, in particular the driver side caliper is apparently a rare bird. Cardone, rock auto etc are all out. I finally got one from stockwise auto. Also as the article states there was a change in disc calipers styles for the maxima mid 1987, i had the best luck searching using 1986 as the model year. If you do get a hit for a rear caliper and it is made by Beck/ Arnley i would take a pass as the caliper mounting brackets dont fit properly in the machined bracket. Cheers everyone and happy thanks giving to our friends in the USA.
Got them, Thanks Don!
Sorry dupe post, things keep timing out here :)
Brian, I sent you the CAD files.
Enjoy the Journey!
Hi Don,
Any chance you would be good enough to send through the CAD files for the brake brackets to gmcswiggan@yahoo.co.uk ?
Many thanks in advance
I sent to your email address, different CAD file formats depending on what CNC shop needs.
caliperbracket2.jpg
Just finished making caliper brackets on my CNC. All went well. Unfortunately I was sent 1984 Nissan Maxima calipers instead of 1987. The 84 caliper mount holes are short about 1". I can adjust the bracket but I figured best to get the right 1987 calipers.
The problem now, is I'm having trouble finding these calipers. Two of my local auto parts, Advanced Auto Parts and Car Quest said they are no longer available.
I'll pursue these parts online to try to locate, but I'm thinking that maybe its time to upgrade the upgrade.
Maybe there is an alternate I'm not aware of.
I forgot to add , this is for 1974 TVR conversion. Already did the front.
Rob
huskyrestoration.com
I'll start working on that update. 2 Cervezas please!
In the mean time, check out partsgeek.com
https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/AC/6721-05001514.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_content=NC&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&utm_term=1985-1987+Maxima+Brake+Caliper+A1+Cardone+19-B978A+Rear+Right+85-87+Brake+Caliper+86+1986&fp=pp&gbm=a&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Basecid=6774379819&aid=79287199093&keyword=833070799593%3A%3Apla-833070799593&kid=833070799593&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5dPuBRCrARIsAJL7oeiY1Qm2mkLtnFLJY0PJopnry6H-RaMoEeV1bZ52mOTShfL7tzt6rmAaAsj1EALw_wcB
Also try Auto Zone
https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-caliper-rear/duralast-bracketed-brake-caliper-19-b979a/566384_1022008_2362
Thank you Don. Your right, but what I found at those companies are aftermarket units Which I'm inclined not to purchase.
I apologies. I should have been clearer.
Rob
I sent details out to a few resources to see if they can match specs from the CAD
Just got this from Wilwood:
Wilwood Customer Reply
Attachments
6:45 PM (5 minutes ago)
to me
Hello,
Unfortunately we do not offer any calipers with a 4.50" mount center. Most of our calipers use a 3.50" or 5.25" mount center, or they're a radial mount design. That may not be the end of the world as you could potentially modify the bracket to accommodate a different mount center. From what we can find, the OE 240sx rotors are approximately 0.38" thick.
If you're willing to modify your bracket, our Powerlite hand brake caliper #120-13516 maybe an option. See attached photo for reference. It's the same caliper as our 120-8724 Powerlite caliper but it includes provision for parking brake.
https://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperProd?itemno=120-8724&appid=0
We also have a universal radial adapter bracket available for the Powerlites if that makes things easier for you:
https://www.wilwood.com/images/Caliper/images_dimensions-lg/Powerlite_Radial_Mount-bm-lg.jpg
Wilwood would be a good choice, Would not be subject to available. So as this upgrade ages, you can still get caliper.
As for Wilwood bracket, I guess you can make a bracket, for the Wilwood bracket. Not the best choice.
I designed a bracket for another Wilwood caliper but unfortunately the 240SX rotor is 1/2" in diameter to small.
Solution is custom rotor. As a one off. Cost quoted would be around $200 a rotor, but much less in volume.
Maybe I'll have it made
Hello Don
Could you kindly share those cad files. I need a little more stopping power for my V12 powered TR6.
Thanks Darin
IMG_20190421_172031.jpg
WOW, It just does fit between the suspension posts, what about the rear end?
How far into the firewall / cabin does it extend?
Sure, I'll send you the CAD files.
Please keep us posted on the progress of your build, maybe do a How it was Done submission!
Thank you Don for your help. engine fits fine, and stripped down its heavy but acceptable. I have a Tremec 6 speed and a built Nissan diff for this car. Significant suspension mods and a roll cage are in the works.
Yes will post updates.
Cheers
Darin
IMG_20190111_134847.jpg
Sent,
Keep those pictures coming! Love It!
So I have tried every supplier I can find. The Rear right caliper appears the only one you might be able to get. Spoke to number of companies. NG I think you can safely say the calipers are obsolete.
I had custom rotor made for the Wilwood caliper. Made similar caliper mount for it. All worked out nicely for my TVR
Fitted it to friends TR6 without issues.
E Brake was next challenge for my TVR. I got another small Wilwood caliper that has been used for ebrake. Just finishing the fab on it. I need to findout best way to mount cable.
This little caliper will work on TR6 but I don't have a mounting solution for.
If your racing and not needing ebrake this setup will work for both TR6 and TVR 2500M
The bad news is it is very expensive. To costly for anyone unless you don't care and have deep pockets.
IMG_2052.jpg