Hey Guys,
I acquired a TR6 which was at one time a V8 conversion. Its original motors mounts have been removed. I have circled the existing mounts, but I do not know which engine uses these mounts. Any ideas??
Thx
robert
WhichMotor.jpg
Looks like a typical GM mount. Not sure about the length.
Jim
Thanks Jim,
I am a NOOB to V8 conversions, anyone suggest a suitable GM engine that would not require too much alteration to the body of the TR6?
From the mounts and the position of the lower radiator hose it looks like there was a Chevy small block V8 in there at one time. That would be my best bet and I think it would probably fit very well. That's what Ted Lathrop has in this car. http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/TedLathrop.htm There are photos of several other TR6s with Chevy engines in the photo section. http://www.britishv8.org/Photos-Triumph-Conversions.htm
Hey Bill
Thanks for that. I am going to take a look at the rear axle and frame to see if they have been modified. I hope so...it will make this re-conversion a lot easier!
could have been a chevy v6 too, looking at teh steering column would tell us more, has it been modified? to put a SBC the column needs altering
not SBC, the SBC mounting point is right above the rear *lower* control arm "adjustment box"
Hey Guys,
Sorry about the long delay in responding. I have attached a picture of the steering column. Any further help on determining the proper engine for this car would be greatly appreciated!
IMG00020.jpg
Proper engine? I think you should completely ignore the motor mounts for awhile and think hard about what you ultimately want from this car and project. Let THAT ALONE determine which motor is "proper". I'm assuming you're reluctant to cut out and replace these mounts, but frankly finding a professional to do that for you shouldn't be a big deal.
Not sure about the steering shaft... but the radiator looks rather small for an over-200 hp engine. I'm thinking this car probably had a V6 or inline four. The ignition coil seems oddly located for a V8, and especially oddly located for a Chevy V8 (where the distributor is behind the carburetor.) What other mods do you see (e.g. for the transmission, rear axle, etc.)? Is the exhaust system still installed?