BritishV8 Forum

General Category => Triumph Sports Cars => Topic started by: Dan B on December 11, 2009, 09:33:09 AM

Title: Jay Foster's Subframe
Post by: Dan B on December 11, 2009, 09:33:09 AM
From Dan Master's report on Jay's car:  
"The new Ford sub-frame that I use is bolted directly to the unibody frame. The body of this car was so well thought out, it's too bad they didn't give the front suspension half as much thought.

The power steering which can be seen running under the oil pan is a variable assist system which gives a nice "road feel" at highway speeds. Even with the original short-coming of the TR7s and TR8s, the car was always a delight to drive. With the mods that have been made it now performs as it should have originally; like a true performance automobile"

I was wondering if there was any way to get more detail on this mod.  Does Jay have an email address?  I wonder what Ford the subframe and suspension he used came from and how hard it was to put it on the TR7.  Power steering would be nice, and so would the elimination of the famous wobble at 45-60.

Dan B
Title: Re: Jay Foster's Subframe
Post by: Dan B on December 12, 2009, 02:33:30 PM
Perhaps I need to post the link to the article:  http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/JayFoster.htm
Title: Re: Jay Foster's Subframe
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on December 13, 2009, 12:10:52 AM
http://books.google.com/books?id=E-1uqnV1wKEC&pg=PA188&lpg=PA188&dq=Jay+Foster%27s+Triumph+TR7&source=bl&ots=4KHxgdeGD3&sig=SWHc2tEggaZJK0LvIcq44yLYa7U&hl=en&ei=eHQkS_ezJZO1lAfPiqX3CQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Jay%20Foster%27s%20Triumph%20TR7&f=false

See if this works.

Jim
Title: Re: Jay Foster's Subframe
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on December 16, 2009, 12:39:46 PM
Dan, I have a surprise to share with you at the xmas party. Maybe we'll be able to post a few more details of that IFS swap.

Jim
Title: Re: Jay Foster's Subframe
Post by: Dan B on December 16, 2009, 04:00:39 PM
Cool.
I bought the book a while back.  I can't find it now.  I hope it didn't get thrown away with magazines......
Title: Re: Jay Foster's Subframe
Post by: Dan B on December 17, 2009, 10:04:10 AM
Ok, I found the book.  His subframe came from a Merkur XR4Ti.
Title: Re: Jay Foster's Subframe
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on December 18, 2009, 08:42:07 AM
Take much cutting and welding to fit that?
Title: Re: Jay Foster's Subframe
Post by: Dan B on December 18, 2009, 10:29:16 AM
Not much according to the article.  He had to weld in a couple of brackets.