BritishV8 Forum

General Category => The BritishV8 Pub => Topic started by: tbush on November 23, 2009, 09:57:31 AM

Title: Auto hobby guys help out a sick young man.
Post by: tbush on November 23, 2009, 09:57:31 AM
Hello everyone. This is slightly off topic, but I thought you might find it interesting. A young man in Frazee, Minnesota who has been hospitalized with cancer asked on Pennock's Fiero Forum if anyone could help him finish the restoration of his car. A US soldier serving in Iraq saw the post and started to organize the forum members. This last weekend 18 forum members from all parts of the USA meet in Frazee and we completly restored the car. New paint, recovered seats, sound system, interior panels, replaced all worn parts and overhauled the engine. At 9:30 AM on Sunday we reveiled the car to Tyler. He was able to get out his wheelchair and drive off. It is amazing what people can do if they try. You can see Tyler's story here: www.tylerstoy.com

 -Tim
Title: Re: Auto hobby guys help out a sick young man.
Post by: MGBV8 on November 23, 2009, 08:58:52 PM
Wow, awesome stuff!

Could have easily been many of us.  ;)
Title: Re: Auto hobby guys help out a sick young man.
Post by: BMC on November 25, 2009, 01:34:35 PM
Fantastic Story Tim.

Here is another link to your story:
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/260661/

-BMC.
Title: Re: Auto hobby guys help out a sick young man.
Post by: tbush on February 17, 2010, 01:37:19 PM
I am sadened to report that Tyler Shipman, the young man who's car we rebuilt, passed away last  Sunday, Feb. 14th.
Tragically Tyler was just 18 years old when his promising life ended. Please take the time to hug your kids and loved ones as none of us know how long we will be in this world.

Here is a link to Youtube of coverage of Tyler's story:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg4s4CEUliA

In Tyler's memory an annual car show in his name is being planned for July 24th in Frazzee MN. Initially the folks organizing it were focused on a Fiero show. Some of us would like to make it a show or gathering for all. I would love to meet some of the local British V8 crowd there. I just would not know which car to drive, my modified Fiero or my modified Spit.

- Tim
Title: Re: Auto hobby guys help out a sick young man.
Post by: psmg on February 17, 2010, 03:58:29 PM
Tim,
  I'm saddened by the news of Tyler's passing. He will be included in my prayers. Please keep us updated on the car show, if possible I would like to attend. Thank you for the work you did in helping him realize a dream.

-Paul
Title: Re: Auto hobby guys help out a sick young man.
Post by: Bill Young on February 17, 2010, 04:19:58 PM
Tim, it's a bit far for me to attend but I have a good friend in Minneapolis that belongs to the Ford Falcon club and he and his buddies might well be interested. Keep us up to date on the details and I'll pass them on.
Title: Re: Auto hobby guys help out a sick young man.
Post by: RMO 699F on February 17, 2010, 06:41:33 PM
This is a very inspiring but sad story...Tyler will be in our prayers. Tim please keep us updated on the progress of the car show. I can combine the show with a visit to my daughter in Minneapolis.
Title: Re: Auto hobby guys help out a sick young man.
Post by: Synthesis on May 28, 2010, 01:30:09 PM
Tim,
I just found this thread here, and have to say, "Awesome!".

I am thankful for all of your participation in the build...

I know many people saw this thread, and I did some searching to see if I could find some car forums to help us spread the word for the show...

________________
In October 2009, a Pontiac Fiero enthusiast by the name of Tyler Shipman was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of cancer.
He was 18 years old.
Posting on Pennock's Fiero Forum (www.fiero.nl), Tyler asked for some assistance from the community to finish some work on the car.

The Fiero community responded in force. A soldier serving in Iraq saw Tyler's plea, and stepped up to the plate.
3 weeks after Tyler posted on the forum, 25 people from the Fiero community arrived in Tyler's home town of Frazee, MN.
Supported by literally hundreds of people from the Fiero community, the community of Frazee, MN and the surrounding area, these 25 people, along with countless others rebuilt Tyler's car in a marathon 23 hour rebuild.
The entire build was broadcast publicly on the internet with full video, audio and live chat on www.tylerstoy.com. Needless to say, the chat room was hopping at all hours of the day. All of the build videos are still available on that site, along with news stories.
Tyler has since moved on to the Great Twisties in the sky. A genuine car enthusiast, a genuine person, he will be missed.
Help the Pontiac Fiero community and the town of Frazee, MN celebrate the life and memory of Tyler Shipman at the First Annual Tyler Shipman Memorial Car Show, July 23rd, 24th, and 25th in Frazee, MN.
All proceeds will be donated to the MeritCare Foundation, Roger Maris Cancer Center research.
Help us spread the word!
TylerShow_2010_v2_web.jpg